Abyzz A200 pump and Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon 3 230W side by side

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. My a200 driver was dead last night for no reason. Controller shows it only draws 0.1 amp. Driver screen is off and no LED lit up. Checked the fuse and it is still good. Changed to another outlet but no vain. So disappointed will contact coralvue and see what they are going to say.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. My a200 driver was dead last night for no reason. Controller shows it only draws 0.1 amp. Driver screen is off and no LED lit up. Checked the fuse and it is still good. Changed to another outlet but no vain. So disappointed will contact coralvue and see what they are going to say.

How long have you had it? I have heard from a few others with the same issues. It seems it does happen.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was at about a month when it died and I purchased it new. Hopefully, they get you a new one sent out this week.
I also hope they last longer than a month, this will be an issue if we have to keep getting new ones.

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds so incredibly frustrating

Maybe a cheap backup option
Jebao DCP-18000 Sine Wave Water Return Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCNGXCX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_9pMuAbDVEMJZP

Not a good experience tho. I still have my Mag 9.5 which I replaced with this Abyzz. Going to swap the union and make some minor plumbing change to get Mag 9.5 back running again. Glad I have a ball valve before the manifold and I only use one manifold as GFO reactor. Can turn GFO completely off while using the Mag 9.5 if the flow is not adequate running return and reactor at the same time.

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was at about a month when it died and I purchased it new. Hopefully, they get you a new one sent out this week.
I also hope they last longer than a month, this will be an issue if we have to keep getting new ones.
Yes it is not supposed to happen. And I am wondering if that is something to do with this batch of pump... Some issue here and there across the forum, and I am sure there are some others who are not posting on internet may have this kind of issue.

$1500 return pump turned into brick in about a month? If they cannot fix the problem (either give me a new driver/pump and telling me what is going on on the faulty one) or if this happen again I will ditch it and go to another brand.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine runs one of my closed loops and I have it so I can remove the pump and change it out if needed. I had an Ecotech L1 in the same place before this one.
So far the Red Dragon is running fine, just wish it had more built-in flow control.
I am wanting to replace my return with something new but I am not sure yet, the A100 would fit perfectly but it scares me because I do not want to be without a return pump. I would most likely make any new pump removable so I can use a backup if needed.

I am sure they will get you a new controller but the big issue is will it happen again.

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Red Dragon 230 watt as my primary return pump on my 360gallon DT and it has worked flawlessly. Completely silent, which was a requirement as the tank is in our family room with the TV and all. It has been running about a year without any issues. Very expensive, but exceeded my expectations as to circulation and noise. No experience with the Abyzz, so can’t comment on it.

Really amazing how far these DC pumps have progressed.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the Abyzz? Can someone provide the footprint. BRS says it’s 6 inches wide but the diagram suggest between 4-5 inches
Thanks!

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 5" wide.
Both pumps are running great without issues. I really can not say anything bad about either. The Abyzz did have an issue in the beginning but they seemed to have fixed it and hopefully, any new ones will have the issue. You can not beat the 10-year warranty of the Abyzz.
Last week during the July 4th sales I did get another pump to replace my return. I had been wanting to replace my return for a while and I was just waiting to see how these pumps did over time to make my choice on a new return. My return is now an Abyzz A200, reasons for picking it are: its a smaller pump which works better for the location I had to put it, the warranty is too good to pass up, I do like the controller a little better than the Red Dragon's controller, and lastly it was in stock during the sale it;s still out of stock at most places). The sale let me save over $400 on the pump. I had to enlarge the hole on my sump to get a bigger bulkhead in it to allow for the 2" input on the Abyzz. I did make the plumbing so I can easily swap out the Abyzz for the old pump is something ever does happen.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 5" wide.
Both pumps are running great without issues. I really can not say anything bad about either. The Abyzz did have an issue in the beginning but they seemed to have fixed it and hopefully, any new ones will have the issue. You can not beat the 10-year warranty of the Abyzz.
Last week during the July 4th sales I did get another pump to replace my return. I had been wanting to replace my return for a while and I was just waiting to see how these pumps did over time to make my choice on a new return. My return is now an Abyzz A200, reasons for picking it are: its a smaller pump which works better for the location I had to put it, the warranty is too good to pass up, I do like the controller a little better than the Red Dragon's controller, and lastly it was in stock during the sale it;s still out of stock at most places). The sale let me save over $400 on the pump. I had to enlarge the hole on my sump to get a bigger bulkhead in it to allow for the 2" input on the Abyzz. I did make the plumbing so I can easily swap out the Abyzz for the old pump is something ever does happen.

Thanks for the update and confirming the foot print. It should fit in the Red Sea Reefer return section which is 6 inches. I would be using it submersed so only need to figure out how to plumb it to the 1 inch union at the beginning of my manifold. Based on the Flow diagram, the A200 seems to be a good fit for me. I only have 4.5 feet of vertical head, but due to the right angles on my manifold and the reactors I am running its probably more like 14 feet. There just aren't many pumps that can keep a flow in the 1000 gph range with that head. Also like that I can connect it to my Apex.

Last edited:
OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use a reducer right at the manifold. I have a 1.5" manifold that powers 3 reactors and the return.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have pictures, its hard to get a good shot. There is an adapter to convert the output from metric.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going red dragon for sure. For a pump that cost a leg and arm I should not have to rely on warranty.
Thank you all for sharing your experience. It helped a lot!

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have owned a Red Dragon 230 for 2 years and it has function led perfectly and very quietly. Almost silent to the point I have to put my hand on it to feel it running. I have been very pleased with it. Any questions I might have had were answered quickly. I cannot speak to the competition but I like the Red Dragon.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned a Red Dragon 230 for 2 years and it has function led perfectly and very quietly. Almost silent to the point I have to put my hand on it to feel it running. I have been very pleased with it. Any questions I might have had were answered quickly. I cannot speak to the competition but I like the Red Dragon.

Awesome to hear. How often do you clean it? Also do you have a flow meter on it? The reason I am looking for a different pump is because the VarioS pumps I have right now don’t even produce en a quarter of the flow in the labels. The head height is not even four feet and it only takes three turns. I want to get something a bit robust reliable.

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I must admit my cleaning habits are not great. I have only cleaned it once so it may be due again. No drop in performance at all though.

I do have Flow monitors. I have the Flow model pump and the head pressure on my system is pretty excessive. The return has a manifold that splits the flow in two directions. One goes up about 10 feet to the attic and then over to a garage to a chiller and back. The other is the primary return to the tank, but it goes to a large UV first, then chokes down to a single 3/4 inch return. I should figure out something, but I have a rediculous number of 90’s. I have 200gph to the chiller and 625gph on the main return. I think it is performing very well under the circumstances. The pressure version might be better for my application.

The best thing about the pump is it is incredibly quiet. My tank is in our family room with the TV and we never hear a thing.

Good luck!

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys- any updates would be awesome- I am trygin to decide between the red dragon 230 watt and the A200 Abyzz for my basement return to my 150 display a floor above the sump = 11 feet 1.5 inch flex PVC vertical lift to a Y splitter reducing to 1 inch on each side, then 90's on each back top corners to loc line splayers = about 14 feet head pressure.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back