Acan and Lord coral differences

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Im new to reefing and was looking online for new corals.
what’s the difference between a acan and lord coral? Or are they the same?
I have some acan I bought from my LFS but just shopping online for more colors to add to an acan garden in starting to create.
Thank for help and advise.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micromussa and Acan's are classified as the same now,well since a few years ago. But,micro's have smaller polyps and lord's have much much larger polyps. Miro's come in just a few colors while lord's come in TONS and TONS of colors.

You have Micromussa lordhowensis and Acanthastrea Lordhowensis,hence the name 'acan lord' so essentially acan's and lords are the same type of coral. They just shortened the name.

OP
OP
fg_aquariums

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micromussa and Acan's are classified as the same now,well since a few years ago. But,micro's have smaller polyps and lord's have much much larger polyps. Miro's come in just a few colors while lord's come in TONS and TONS of colors.
Yes I see a lot more lord with better coloration. I’ve been online shopping and see a lot I would like to get because of the colors.
Are they compatible to put near each other?

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My garden back in the day was crammed,but they were all lords and started out as 1-3 heads.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200902-094511_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200902-094511_Gallery.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 460
  • Screenshot_20200902-094505_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200902-094505_Gallery.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 409

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, Micros and Lords are no longer part of the acan family at all. Even bowerbankis have been removed from that classification.

All that is left in the acan classification is the acanthastrea echinata.

Micros and Lorde's and now one and the same. With micromussa lordhowensis being the name and the smaller finer counterpart being named micromussa amakusensis.

Bowerbankis is now homophyllia bowerbanki

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big credit from unique but they only seem to have micro lords! I dont get why since they arent cultivated but wild caught! They do seem to have a lot of color varation but not much bigger than a zoa! I used to have a rainbow that had the biggest polyp I ever saw. It died before it grew any more polyps but the single polyp took up the whole 1 inch frag! Thats the only lord I have had. Is that unusual? I am asking because I was about to bid on another micro they have espially since I have the credit but want to get some big ones! What is the average button size on a regular lord?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering what is the difference between bowerbanki's and lords. I am also bidding on a wwc auction on ebay and they have a bowerbanki I like. Are they similar to acans? Looks like they are just big polyps! Makes me wonder why they arent as popular as acans though if thats the case!

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering what is the difference between bowerbanki's and lords. I am also bidding on a wwc auction on ebay and they have a bowerbanki I like. Are they similar to acans? Looks like they are just big polyps! Makes me wonder why they arent as popular as acans though if thats the case!
I have an acan I got from Joshporksandwich at rap ny this year and it’s a monster. It gets even fluffier but there’s no way to pick it up without brushing against the flesh so it closed a little for the picture.
DF094FB3-12AF-46FF-A307-BF7D090DB265.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back