Acan help please :)

jrhodes777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite new to keeping corals and reefing in general. My tank is a 40 gallon, about 5 months old now. I recently purchased this acan about three weeks ago. Colour looks great, he loves to eat, but I’ve just noticed this pink fleshy looking “thing” between the polyps on the left side. I can only see it when he is “sleeping.” All other corals look happy and healthy. I have two juvenille clownfish and a lawnmower blenny that is well behaved and leaves my corals alone as far as I’ve ever seen (and I watch my tank a lot lol) My acan is placed in low to medium flow and low to medium light in my tank. I do 30% water changes about every three weeks to a month.
Tanks parameters:
ph- 8.0
ammonia- 0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 5
temp- 78F
SG- 1.025
Ca- 440
Mg- 1320
KH- 8.9
I target feed him 2-3 times a week with reef roids. I’ve included two pictured of him right before lights out and one after lights out.
I’ve heard that they are quite hardy but am just quite paranoid that I am missing something. Please help a concerned coral mom out! All advice appreciated and if i forgot to add any info please let me know! Thank you!
FF0F28FB-14B8-4AAC-A88E-3AECC9C11E23.jpeg
4761B191-A105-4719-B6E6-FF26D855F572.jpeg
DFA0683B-4D9F-4E0F-B984-4950723665FB.jpeg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite new to keeping corals and reefing in general. My tank is a 40 gallon, about 5 months old now. I recently purchased this acan about three weeks ago. Colour looks great, he loves to eat, but I’ve just noticed this pink fleshy looking “thing” between the polyps on the left side. I can only see it when he is “sleeping.” All other corals look happy and healthy. I have two juvenille clownfish and a lawnmower blenny that is well behaved and leaves my corals alone as far as I’ve ever seen (and I watch my tank a lot lol) My acan is placed in low to medium flow and low to medium light in my tank. I do 30% water changes about every three weeks to a month.
Tanks parameters:
ph- 8.0
ammonia- 0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 5
temp- 78F
SG- 1.025
Ca- 440
Mg- 1320
KH- 8.9
I target feed him 2-3 times a week with reef roids. I’ve included two pictured of him right before lights out and one after lights out.
I’ve heard that they are quite hardy but am just quite paranoid that I am missing something. Please help a concerned coral mom out! All advice appreciated and if i forgot to add any info please let me know! Thank you!
FF0F28FB-14B8-4AAC-A88E-3AECC9C11E23.jpeg
4761B191-A105-4719-B6E6-FF26D855F572.jpeg
DFA0683B-4D9F-4E0F-B984-4950723665FB.jpeg
I can't help other than asking what is PO4 as well? This can definitely influence coral growth you have some nitrates which also possible high on phosphorus... I have my first acan coming any day now, and looking forward to it.

On a side note, under the blues? That Acan of yours should be named 'Colorado Avalanche' look up those uniform colours if you don't know of em!

OP
OP
J

jrhodes777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help other than asking what is PO4 as well? This can definitely influence coral growth you have some nitrates which also possible high on phosphorus... I have my first acan coming any day now, and looking forward to it.

On a side note, under the blues? That Acan of yours should be named 'Colorado Avalanche' look up those uniform colours if you don't know of em!
I don’t actually have a good phosph test yet. I tried API but I feel like they just aren’t accurate enough or too high range to be helpful at all. Would you have any recommendation of a good tester? Hanna checker maybe? I love the acans! Enjoy yours!! And they do look just like those colours! Love it! Thanks for the advice! :)

OP
OP
J

jrhodes777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, acans like somewhat dirty water. my nitrates are 20ish and low light (about 100 par or lower) and they do great. A small amount of po4 is good for them as well
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! So is the pink bit that I am seeing the skeleton, or indication that my acan is unhealthy?

OP
OP
J

jrhodes777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, acans like somewhat dirty water. my nitrates are 20ish and low light (about 100 par or lower) and they do great. A small amount of po4 is good for them as well
Do you see any ill effects of having nitrates at 20? I do not have any SPS but do have some inverts and an anenome and was wondering how this might affect them? Also, would it be bad for my fairly new (5 month old tank) to have too high of a nitrate value? Sorry for the 3rd degree, just wondering what to do

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t see any I’ll effects from that nitrate. I know people that run their tanks 30 and do fine. I need a better picture to tell about the skeleton. Acans will swell up sometimes and other times receded into their skeleton. Mine typically receded in towards the end of the light schedule so I may tone my lights down a little.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back