Acan not opening

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acan is not opening for past 3 days. Its been there for 2weeks since I bought it. Was doing fine until Tuesday. I spot feed it reef roids and mysis 2x a week.

Water params-
Salinity 1.026
Ammonia, nitrite -0
Nitrate/ phosphate- traces
pH-8
Alk-8 (raised it from 7 and this is the only change that happened a day before it closed up)
Calc-420
Mg-1500
Temp-78

Kept in Low light/ low flow-any idea if alk change could be the issue? I do 10% wc a week.

2aff781804b7c1412d3a12a1e74287c8.jpg

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this thread bud. 0 nitrates is most likely the problem. I recommend raising your calcium to 450ppm as well. Keep alkalinity at 8-9dkh

Something is destroying ALL of my Chalice Corals!!
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php...L-of-my-Chalice-Corals!!.636893/&share_type=t

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this thread bud. 0 nitrates is most likely the problem. I recommend raising your calcium to 450ppm as well. Keep alkalinity at 8-9dkh

Something is destroying ALL of my Chalice Corals!!
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php...L-of-my-Chalice-Corals!!.636893/&share_type=t

Hmm...i am feeding the fish everyday and doing reef roids/ mysis/ rods food 2x/3x a week. Trimmed chaeto to half. Still not able to elevate the nitrate level. Its been always like this post cycle. I guess its a combo of alk increase with low nitrate that made it unhappy.

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...i am feeding the fish everyday and doing reef roids/ mysis/ rods food 2x/3x a week. Trimmed chaeto to half. Still not able to elevate the nitrate level. Its been always like this post cycle. I guess its a combo of alk increase with low nitrate that made it unhappy.

In my experience, feeding coral foods is not enough to maintain all corals healthy. You have to keep a level of nitrates. 10-20ppm is best. I keep mine at 20ppm. I’ve noticed once I hit 10ppm some corals start to close up and not look as happy.

While you work on raising nitrates, try feeding it pellets. I feed mine small fish food pellets. They love it. But get your nitrates up. You’ll see a positive response as soon as you do.

Also, try shutting down your skimmer. I dose my tanks sodium nitrate as I do not have enough fish to produce enough waste to maintain 20ppm nitrates so I have to supplement. I dose every 2-3 weeks as needed based on nitrate test results.

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, feeding coral foods is not enough to maintain all corals healthy. You have to keep a level of nitrates. 10-20ppm is best. I keep mine at 20ppm. I’ve noticed once I hit 10ppm some corals start to close up and not look as happy.

While you work on raising nitrates, try feeding it pellets. I feed mine small fish food pellets. They love it. But get your nitrates up. You’ll see a positive response as soon as you do.

Also, try shutting down your skimmer. I dose my tanks sodium nitrate as I do not have enough fish to produce enough waste to maintain 20ppm nitrates so I have to supplement. I dose every 2-3 weeks as needed based on nitrate test results.

Will try that...

Though its started looking better after today’s WC.

a6da58dbd495c8ad3a93343257fc2bcd.jpg

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an ACAN mine do this at times. It will recover just an ACAN being an ACAN. I was worried when mine wouldn’t open just like yours but he eventually bounced back without me doing anything. Yours looks fine

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an ACAN mine do this at times. It will recover just an ACAN being an ACAN. I was worried when mine wouldn’t open just like yours but he eventually bounced back without me doing anything. Yours looks fine

Ya, it looks happy again. Lesson learned, if your coral looks happy then don’t poke around chasing numbers. :)

c9623bd0e7eb47ebcf75be16938c4a2f.jpg

rolyguy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, it looks happy again. Lesson learned, if your coral looks happy then don’t poke around chasing numbers. :)

c9623bd0e7eb47ebcf75be16938c4a2f.jpg

I’d have to disagree. You removed half of your chaeto. In doing so you increased nitrate availability for your corals. That is most likely the reason it has perked up. Increase your nitrates further and watch it take off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to disagree. You removed half of your chaeto. In doing so you increased nitrate availability for your corals. That is most likely the reason it has perked up. Increase your nitrates further and watch it take off.

The chaeto removal was done even before i have bought the acan. My nitrate level has not increased. The acan was happy with whatever parameters i had. The only thing i can relate is chasing the alk number. Now i will only listen to my corals and stop chasing numbers. [emoji1]

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back