hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having issues with getting my Acantho coral to open up fully. I fed it a big block of frozen mysis shrimp a month ago and it’s been down hill from that moment on.

The feeders no longer come out, I found orange slime which some call a sponge growing on its skeleton. It wasn’t on my mind to scrape a sample and put it under my microscope at the time. I still would like to if I see it form again on the skeleton.

Getting to my point of this post, I felt like it was infected by some bacterial infection so I took a chance it gave it a three hour bath in “ParaGuard”. I know it’s for fish only. But I took the chance. After the bath I placed it back in my main display tank and it came back to life. It hasn’t been 24hrs yet so I’ll update tomorrow.

IMG_4606.jpeg

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having issues with getting my Acantho coral to open up fully. I fed it a big block of frozen mysis shrimp a month ago and it’s been down hill from that moment on.

The feeders no longer come out, I found orange slime which some call a sponge growing on its skeleton. It wasn’t on my mind to scrape a sample and put it under my microscope at the time. I still would like to if I see it form again on the skeleton.

Getting to my point of this post, I felt like it was infected by some bacterial infection so I took a chance it gave it a three hour bath in “ParaGuard”. I know it’s for fish only. But I took the chance. After the bath I placed it back in my main display tank and it came back to life. It hasn’t been 24hrs yet so I’ll update tomorrow.

IMG_4606.jpeg
Look into cipro. I know some people use it for elegances.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Paraguard?:
"ParaGuard is a super-strength formula that contains a unique blend of herbs such as Wormwood, Pumpkin Seed, Garlic Bulb, and more, all of which optimize digestive flora and support a healthy intestinal balance. These herbs have traditionally been used to support and restore vitality to digestion and microbial balance. ParaGuard is oftentimes used as a potent cleanser to promote intestinal health."

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Paraguard?:
"ParaGuard is a super-strength formula that contains a unique blend of herbs such as Wormwood, Pumpkin Seed, Garlic Bulb, and more, all of which optimize digestive flora and support a healthy intestinal balance. These herbs have traditionally been used to support and restore vitality to digestion and microbial balance. ParaGuard is oftentimes used as a potent cleanser to promote intestinal health."
No.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above order up some cipro and utilize it....it can be dosed straight into the tank....i have done this route before for a few items....also make sure its not getting blasted with flow....do you know par levels on the bottom area where it was placed?

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above order up some cipro and utilize it....it can be dosed straight into the tank....i have done this route before for a few items....also make sure its not getting blasted with flow....do you know par levels on the bottom area where it was placed?
No I’ve been meaning to rent one or see if the PAR meter for photography flash works the same for reef lights since they are cheaper.

I’ve been trying to hide it from direct light but it always did bad. I’ll purchase the product you are suggesting because I do want to dose my display tank

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I had not heard of either. I was very distracted that the one I posted had wormwood in it. Wrong rabbitfish hole I was going down. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
This Paraguard?:
For a sec you had me reading the bottle thinking I picked up the wrong thing ha!
A couple ppl had stayed here that it’s an old school formula/brand

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow…, you put that paraguard on everything…, clown tang and acantho, and they both worked.
to be honest I didn’t mean to leave it in for the three hours, I forgot about it until I got uninvolved with other distractions lol.

The clown tang is still sitting in QT, i dose the recommended 5ml/10 gallons daily. I’ll back off the dose tomorrow. I can say I stand by this product as far as fish goes for sure.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping this thread updated, I’m sure others with similar issues will come along in the future. My research continues
#I#IPutThatS***OnEverything :grinning-face-with-sweat:

It’s a “Gold Dust Acanthophyllia” waiting on the color to come back in. The orange/gold shows but the dust specs are not as pronounced
IMG_4612.jpeg IMG_4613.jpeg IMG_4615.jpeg IMG_4614.jpeg

Last edited:

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping this thread updated, I’m sure others with similar issues will come along in the future. My research continues
#I#IPutThatS*Everything :grinning-face-with-sweat:

It’s a “Gold Dust Acanthophyllia” waiting on the color to come back in. The orange/gold shows but the dust specs are as pronounced
IMG_4612.jpeg IMG_4613.jpeg IMG_4615.jpeg IMG_4614.jpeg
That’s an amazing transformation from what appears to be a dying acantho to this by a 3-hr Paraguard bath.

@Jay Hemdal you may be interested to know about this.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I want to test that out.
I haven’t tried this out with any other coral but ancanthophyllia.
I have a 10gal tank set up with a sump, no carbon just running two filter socks with lots of aeration and waterfall with the return pump.
I started with 5ml/10 gallons using ParaGuard.

This was my first attempt at trying to save the coral so be careful and post findings here if you do try with other coral or meat eaters. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Paraguard?:

No - that is an herbal product. You need to search for "Paraguard aquarium" to find the right stuff.

Jay

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By this time it would’ve started to do the weird twisting into itself thing.
I call it a success, it’s even puffier. I guess I can take the win now. My new issues is raising nutrient levels, I think it’s my filter socks. Pretty dang good. To good. I can’t get Nitrates above 2, and I may be running to much Phoseguard. I need to adjust that.

IMG_4618.jpeg IMG_4619.jpeg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By this time it would’ve started to do the weird twisting into itself thing.
I call it a success, it’s even puffier. I guess I can take the win now. My new issues is raising nutrient levels, I think it’s my filter socks. Pretty dang good. To good. I can’t get Nitrates above 2, and I may be running to much Phoseguard. I need to adjust that.

IMG_4618.jpeg IMG_4619.jpeg
You got super lucky!!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back