Acceptable Heat From Return Pump

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Flex 32 tank up and started a fishless cycle. I hooked up the apex and noticed the heat on pump (a Sicce 1.5) and icecap 2k power head kicks up the temp by 2.5 degrees. I’m a bit worried about temp when I get the lights on eventually.

Question:
Was wondering if 2.5 degrees from the pump and power head is normal or if I should look at getting another pump?

Could the cycle be elevating heat?

Note: the flex has a tight lid that makes it hard to cool. I’m thinking about modifying the lid to add some fans but having the lid is a must.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce 1.5 is consuming 23 watts. Since that's sitting in your sump, it's almost all being converted to heat energy. In my RSR 170 (similar size) that's going to be a couple degrees.

If you have lid and reduced evaporation - that's going to keep more heat in.

Yes lights will ad more (about 25% of LED wattage I believe) so you'll have to figure that in to your heater control as well. None of this is bad per se, just have to make sure you're design temperature control for all heat sources (and house ambient).

Here's a handy little calculator - I found it to be pretty close. The linked notes are particularly interesting.

Hamzasreef

OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce 1.5 is consuming 23 watts. Since that's sitting in your sump, it's almost all being converted to heat energy. In my RSR 170 (similar size) that's going to be a couple degrees.

If you have lid and reduced evaporation - that's going to keep more heat in.

Yes lights will ad more (about 25% of LED wattage I believe) so you'll have to figure that in to your heater control as well. None of this is bad per se, just have to make sure you're design temperature control for all heat sources (and house ambient).

Here's a handy little calculator - I found it to be pretty close. The linked notes are particularly interesting.

Hamzasreef
Thanks...would you say that type of heat of the pump is typical for something this size? I need the flow but I don't know if there is another reliable pump that fits the size and flow needs that does not produce as much heat.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...would you say that type of heat of the pump is typical for something this size? I need the flow but I don't know if there is another reliable pump that fits the size and flow needs that does not produce as much heat.
I'd say it's normal. You can't really beat the Sicce brand in AC pumps, you can probably find equal but none better. You can always go DC pumps but that's going to add $100-150. I used Sicce 2.0 for my return for quite a while and still use a 1.5 for ATS flow. Good little pump that'll last you years. Plus you'll save money on a bigger heater...ok so a buck or two but still buck's a buck.

OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. The pump only has increased the temp by 3 degrees since it was turned on. I left the powerhead off for now until the temp peaks out.

Attachments

• temp.PNG
    temp.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it's normal. You can't really beat the Sicce brand in AC pumps, you can probably find equal but none better. You can always go DC pumps but that's going to add $100-150. I used Sicce 2.0 for my return for quite a while and still use a 1.5 for ATS flow. Good little pump that'll last you years. Plus you'll save money on a bigger heater...ok so a buck or two but still buck's a buck.
Thanks...I'll be turning my attention to a fan for cooling I guess. My hope is that the temp with pump, lights, and powerhead can be offset with some fans.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop the pump and look at the Innovstive Marine line (although the 328gph has reliability issues).

use a fan! I have a Innovative Marine 328gph and a Kessil a160 over a 10g. I bought a small fan with 3 flexible arms that I wrapped around Kessil mount. Voila! My tank stays at 78. There are other fans and other mounting options. Add a cheap timer (bonus points if you add a temp controller) and you’re good to go.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always install a fan to help lower the tank temp. I am running dual Cor 20’s maxed out along with several other things that add heat to the water. I installed a fan on the sump, you can add it to the tank as well, and you can see the difference in tank temp.

72CBC8F0-C3F2-47BE-994B-703416AC7AF0.png

OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask..what temp are you running now?
it is now at 81.6 with no lights (only the pump is running). AC is at 77 and steady. Its about 90 outside and there is no direct light on the tank.

OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always install a fan to help lower the tank temp. I am running dual Cor 20’s maxed out along with several other things that add heat to the water. I installed a fan on the sump, you can add it to the tank as well, and you can see the difference in tank temp.

72CBC8F0-C3F2-47BE-994B-703416AC7AF0.png
Thanks...i am looking to do a DIY fan bc one to the things that is tricky with the Flex 32 is the lid does not leave much for fans. I saw another post on a DIY on a flex 32 that drilled some holes in the lid and that seems to work for him. I purchased an extra lid and a 3" drill bit for my DIY. I was planning to hook the fans up to the Apex as I assume there is a temp controller in there for fans to kick on based on temp.

OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop the pump and look at the Innovstive Marine line (although the 328gph has reliability issues).

use a fan! I have a Innovative Marine 328gph and a Kessil a160 over a 10g. I bought a small fan with 3 flexible arms that I wrapped around Kessil mount. Voila! My tank stays at 78. There are other fans and other mounting options. Add a cheap timer (bonus points if you add a temp controller) and you’re good to go.
Thanks...looking it up now.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...i am looking to do a DIY fan bc one to the things that is tricky with the Flex 32 is the lid does not leave much for fans. I saw another post on a DIY on a flex 32 that drilled some holes in the lid and that seems to work for him. I purchased an extra lid and a 3" drill bit for my DIY. I was planning to hook the fans up to the Apex as I assume there is a temp controller in there for fans to kick on based on temp.
Their is, just program a outlet with the chiller function and it will give you temp high and low to turn outlet on and off. That’s what I do.

B5935070-30BC-43D5-B66C-7110ED01BA78.png

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ac at 77?? How can one live that hot lol. But that’s gonna be an issue for sure.

OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ac at 77?? How can one live that hot lol. But that’s gonna be an issue for sure.
I'm down in FL so 77 feels a bit on the chill side. I may have to decide between being cold myself and setting the tank up right.

OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed in my sleuthing is that the APEX controller actually runs a bit hot too. I ran a laser temp prob on it and it's about 85 degrees. Since it sits under the tank I'm guessing that is what brings the tank temp to 78.5 in a 77-degree room.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm down in FL so 77 feels a bit on the chill side. I may have to decide between being cold myself and setting the tank up right.
I live in Florida to. 73 when I’m home and 74 while at work. Same when I lived down in Port St. Lucie as well as here in central Florida in the Villages. Tank stays at about 78 with 6bulb t5’s over a 60g with a danner mag return pump and and 2 big pumps for a skimmer rated to 300g lol no heater of course ever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got things under control and put the root issue down to:

1) Apex controller was in stand below tank and gets hot (clocking in at 90 on some spots using a laser thermometer). Moved further away from tank.

2) Bad return pump - returned the Sicce AC pump and replaced with Inovative Marine DC pump. This was excellent. Pump is dead quite and much cooler. Well worth the $$.

3) Added a DIY fan to the lid that I hooked up to the apex chiller as mentioned above.

With all that temps are looking good….Even at 77 AC.

Attachments

• D0539336-C332-4734-829A-86F0B97FD107.png
    D0539336-C332-4734-829A-86F0B97FD107.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 29

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember this though, properly cleaning the return pumps will help keep the temp down as well. The build up detritus in the pump and thus, make them work harder. ;)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back