Accidental ammonia spike, ran out of salt

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just introducing some new corals to my reef when I accidentally nudged open my skimmer outlet, dumping some amount of waste water into my tank. The ammonia levels shot up to 0.50ppm, but I ran out of salt whilst preparing for a water change. It's midnight right now, I'll have to wait at least 8 hours until my LFS opens for more salt. What should I do?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently preparing water with what salt I have left, not sure if it's going to do anything with this small a quantity but I don't have anything else that could help.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Established, but currently basically empty.
If it’s empty how could it have so much excessive nutrients to raise the reading from 0 to 0.5ppm? I don’t get it. Can you show a pic of the tank?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s empty how could it have so much excessive nutrients to raise the reading from 0 to 0.5ppm? I don’t get it. Can you show a pic of the tank?
IMG_1305.jpeg

It’s literally midnight so my lights are all off, but I have essentially no stock other than the 4 anemones prior to the corals that were added today. The tank had not been fed in almost a year but the skimmer had also been running without being emptied for roughly a month(it’s hardly even a quarter full)

I think that hammer in the middle is going to die…

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1305.jpeg

It’s literally midnight so my lights are all off, but I have essentially no stock other than the 4 anemones prior to the corals that were added today. The tank had not been fed in almost a year but the skimmer had also been running without being emptied for roughly a month(it’s hardly even a quarter full)

I think that hammer in the middle is going to die…
I see. Do you also have the 0.5ppm ammonia testing result handy?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1306.jpeg
I actually just dumped it for a retest, seems like the levels aren’t rising at least.
I think it’s fine. Read the following thread unless you have something dying in there.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s fine. Read the following thread unless you have something dying in there.

yeah I'm just using api because ammonia is the one test that I don't have from elsewhere... haven't been necessary for years. I didn't even realize it's supposed to be green until I finished the test. My hammers do seem to be dying though... shrunk all the way back into their skeletons, and my nems are visibly wilting. At least it's not hitting my new zoas.
1694333176667.png

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah my nems seeems to have all balled up, going to check back in the morning to see what happens. I know corals can eat this stuff(ammonia and its products), but it's mainly the parameter shock I'm afraid of. They're coming into an environment that already has different light, salinity, and nutrient levels, having it change again within the hour can't be healthy.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers overflow all the time. I wouldn’t worry that much.
This is correct, and how I'd think about it as well.

Additionally, the 0.50ppm result on the ammonia kit from a one time incident is of no concern. It'll drop as those nutrients get processed (and re-skimmed).
whether your new hammers make it or not is not going to be determined by this one accidental spill of a little skimmate.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how spilling some skimmate is going to cause an ammonia spike. I've spilled it before and even emptied the cup back into the tank if it skimmed too wet for my liking. But I don't own an ammonia test kit so maybe I'm doing bad and just don't know it but I don't think so.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is new, it isn't established.

Also, an overflowing skimmer cup is not the cause of your ammonia spike.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just introducing some new corals to my reef when I accidentally nudged open my skimmer outlet, dumping some amount of waste water into my tank. The ammonia levels shot up to 0.50ppm, but I ran out of salt whilst preparing for a water change. It's midnight right now, I'll have to wait at least 8 hours until my LFS opens for more salt. What should I do?
0.5 ppm total ammonia does not represent much toxic free ammonia, maybe 0.05 ppm. That might be irritating to fish gills. If you have an established aquarium, the ammonia should be gone in 24 hours or less. If the skimmate was particularly dark, the waste not the ammonia might be irritating the coral. This is probably a non-event. Coral loss would be attributed to something else.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how spilling some skimmate is going to cause an ammonia spike. I've spilled it before and even emptied the cup back into the tank if it skimmed too wet for my liking.
A skimmer collects protein and some other organics. In the skimmer cup, this can break down to ammonia over time. So if I test my fresh skimate, the ammonia reading is very low. But if I leave it in the skimmer for a couple of days, the ammonia level goes higher.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This still falls under the advice of updated cycling science that no post cycle display reef needs tested for ammonia. The advice comes from the swath of digital testers who input much larger degrees of liquid ammonium chloride into their reefs on purpose as daily feeding and then can see without misreads the system handles ammonia in fifteen minutes. The key is owning a calibrated digital kit (shows a baseline reading before the event) vs this particular kit in the picture, the most searchable misreading test kit in literally all of reefing.

Common procedural errors in reefing are handled without harm, and uncommon errors don’t require a cheap test kit to know they’ve occurred, so testing can’t help it can only cause false ammonia alert threads. Notice we don’t have a baseline ammonia pic before the alert: that reading above is what fully normal reef tanks run at on api, if we search. That reading above has triggered about four million false stall cycled readings, and now it’s 4 million and one

withholding feed for a year was the alert

Any organics moved about the tank, including scooting a rock from one side to the other, can and does cause that same color shade. It may or may not be actual ammonia that causes it, we don’t know, but moving a rock across the tank doesn’t release ammonia that’s for sure and we’ve got threads where a simple water change caused that reading (and the resulting false alarm post)

I agree concentrated skimmate can input some ammonia. It won’t be harmful it’ll be nutrients that tank is hungry for

literally any physical action inside a reef tank can trigger a darker api color, yet the pathways an actual ammonia spike occur in display reefing are very few.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back