acclimating/ adding new corals and light settings

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question I never really thought about much before, but figured I would ask and see anyway. As some may know, with my old stock light (Fluval Marine) in my Fluval Flex 32.5 were thriving pretty well in there. I had a Green Nepthea and Frogspawn that were doing well for a few months before I got my new light (Noopsyche). I kept adjusting the light settings but eventually they continued to shrink down and lose color. Eventually they closed up completely and that was the end of them unfortunately. Now I'm looking to add more corals in the near future, and started taking the maintenance to my tank a lot more serious and meticulous which brings me to my questions when I finally add more coral.

What is the proper way to add it into the tank? I feel like adding that new light and not having an acclimation period was my whole downfall.

Do I dial my lights down low for a few weeks and then slowly build up the brightness? Will they be ok coming from wherever I purchase them directly into my light settings? or do I have to bite the bullet and purchase or rent a part meter to know my numbers? I've never had a huge coral based tank, most of mine have been FOWLR so I'm always looking to expand my knowledge and continue growing my tanks.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without actual intensity measurements you’re going to be fighting an uphill battle. It’ll be hard to get a spectral match, but so long as you can absolutely match the intensity you had before, it’ll be a fairly smooth transition. But to be honest, when I get new corals I just put them in the tank. Sometimes on a frag rack for observation a couple weeks, but sometimes just right where they go immediately and I don’t change my lights. If o am changing lighting though, I absolutely use a par meter and match the intensity level of the previous lighting product if going from led to led. Changing from halide to led, or t5 to led, I approach differently

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without actual intensity measurements you’re going to be fighting an uphill battle. It’ll be hard to get a spectral match, but so long as you can absolutely match the intensity you had before, it’ll be a fairly smooth transition. But to be honest, when I get new corals I just put them in the tank. Sometimes on a frag rack for observation a couple weeks, but sometimes just right where they go immediately and I don’t change my lights. If o am changing lighting though, I absolutely use a par meter and match the intensity level of the previous lighting product if going from led to led. Changing from halide to led, or t5 to led, I approach differently
I've been wanting to get a par meter for the longest time but they're just so expensive, I'll have to check to see if BRS still rents them out, aside from that I don't think anywhere near me has them to rent or borrow unfortunately.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to get a par meter for the longest time but they're just so expensive, I'll have to check to see if BRS still rents them out, aside from that I don't think anywhere near me has them to rent or borrow unfortunately.

I get it completely. It’s an irritating expense. Especially if you get an apogee. I got my mq510 randomly because I happened to be browsing premium aquatics and happened to notice they were having a flash sale at 40% off. I couldn’t pass it up. It’s been incredibly valuable. If nothing else. Try to rent one from some place and at least get an idea of how your lights are working with your tank. I’ve found what BRS reports in an empty tank with clear water and brand new lights is different from a mature tank full of rocks and sand. Light gets absorbed and reflected differently. You’ll also get an idea of where the high and low light spots are in your tank. It may surprise you

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes i see people loaning/renting them out locally. You might check in your location. Post in a local chat, maybe try in the marketplace? Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back