OP
OP
Raptor72

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2, not looking so good. Nem is deflated. It appeared to be overly inflated yesterday. I had a reading of .15 on Ammonia scale and did a 50% water change. Still no Cipro and it’s not looking good.

7b66b440f7da6c0fc07b172c05e7f7cc.jpg

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO water changes early on are critical. 100% needed, everyday until it stabilizes, or you flush it. 50% not good enough. Everyday change that water with saltwater that’s aged 24 hours, 100% change everyday. I agree, too much time went by with not enough critical care, that guy look beyond saving. Keep working at it, sometimes they look better, or worse than they actually are. You never know how long or how bad it’s struggled before you got it. Sorry to see. Best of luck to you I hope it turns around.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And be attentive with the power of that light. Too strong it will cook inside when trying to get them acclimated. Maybe try increasing the distance between the light and water, too close may be too harsh on it. Ramp it up slowly after it’s stable. Play around. Lower intensity, if it inflated and looks better, keep it in mind. If adding more intensity it looks better, adjust accordingly. We never know the lighting conditions they truly come from between the ocean and our possession, but light can easily collapse them, or “cook” them internally. I found I could collapse them in minutes with too strong light. Got to get firing on all cylinders for it to stabilize, water, light, flow.

Don’t feed it until it’s fully stabilized. They can go months with no food and be ok. You want 100% inflation 100% of the time (night they go to about 80% inflated but still look beautiful).

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry.... I feel like columbo... one more thing....

In the ocean, maybe it clouds over and rains. Don’t be afraid to give it lower light for a day when it collapses. Try again to add light after it’s infkated. It’s really a guessing game and you need to be observant and proactive in taking the lead to make adjustments based on how it looks.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a local vet around here to cut loose of cipro w/ out a script is pretty much impossible unless you had one you've been working w/ already and had a good relationship, and even then they are not going to like just handing that stuff out.

Online is best, and you need to have cipro already before ordering any of the nems that commonly need treatment.

I agree it's not looking too good and only immediate treatment could save it, and that's a big maybe at this point.

Too many opinions out there from people that don't really know, read the sticky above, "how I cipro" by Amoo, and plan this out before ordering next time would be my advice.

xellos88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the nem is doing well today. I think using carbon and purigen helps with the water quality.

OP
OP
Raptor72

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji853]

The nem didn’t make it. On the 2nd day it was completely deflated and the water was cloudy. I think next time I’ll get it from Aqua Sd and make sure it’s been there for a while. I went ahead and ordered the antibiotic for next time.

I appreciate all the tips and recommendations and will put them to use on the next one. Thanks again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back