Acclimation to new light?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by Zweiday, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Zweiday

Zweiday Well-Known Member

Hi everyone I just bought an ai prime hd and basically want to know if i should slowly acclimate my corals to the light instead of just running it full blast day of, my tank is a 13g that has stock lighting that im going to be switching from, so it'll be a difference i suppose. I also have another question if anyone else uses the ai prime would like to help me find the right colors/intensity for my tank that would be great. thanks guys.

Tags:
  2. donnievaz

donnievaz Well-Known Member

Absolutely acclimate. I don't know what your stock lighting was but there's a good probability that it's nowhere near as strong as the Prime.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  3. Zweiday

Right of course thats what i was thinking the stock came with my fluval 13g aio its a 14k led, not the best, so im still pretty new to reef keeping and in the lighting area im lost, do you have an idea what i should do, like ramp it up slowly over a few weeks? i havent done anything with the light yet i want to make sure i know what im doing

4. donnievaz

What corals do you have in the tank?

5. Sm51498

Sm51498 Well-Known Member

acclimation is great, you should ALWAYS do it. unless you have empirical data to support that your new light will deliver less light than your old, I would never risk not acclimating. I have both of these lights and I know the AI is much more directly powerful than the stock light.

6. Zweiday

Quite a few, some zoas, softies, lps, sps a variety in all honesty a lot to name do you actually want the names of all or is that ok?

Right i completely agree with you

7. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I'd start @50% of your light power and work up 2-3% each week. That's how I started off my Radions on my tank and it worked out pretty well. Just be sure to take enough time to see how your livestock does with each increase. With LEDs at 1-2% increase can be allot.

jwshiver likes this.
  8. Zweiday

Thanks man i appreciate the help

9. donnievaz

No names just trying to get an idea of the light requirements. I agree with Salty start at 50% and go slow.

10. Mo-sachi

Mo-sachi Well-Known Member

I went from a 250MH on my 93g cube to a 247-Ocean Revive Led set up and assumed I can start at 35% white/Full spectrum and 45% blues. Both fixtures 12" above water line. I was severely wrong. My frogspawn and hammers retracted, some zoas disappeared. It melted my torch.. I learned the hard way. Now I have them in a 40g breeder (93g started leaking- 40g is temp housing).. I am running the lights at 5% full spectrum and 12% blues. They are doing much better. It is commonly advised to start very low, and once you think it's low enough, go lower... Hope all goes well. Happy Reefing!

saltyfilmfolks and donnievaz like this.
  11. Zweiday

Seems like going slow in this hobby is a must no matter what it is youre doing, sorry to keep reviving an answered thread but i was playing with the settings yesterday and its kind of complicated to a new eye, does anyone have a reference or could help me figuring out where i should place my colors and also what lights are most important, thanks

12. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

I say this a lot appearantly.....https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-is-this-the-right-setup.301755/#post-3695813
    "your guessing. so is the lfs.
    Think in terms of PAR not %. depending on the tank and height of the light intensity will differ.
    Mostly color is irrelevant(unless drastic.) corals have been grown at 6000 kelvin and 20,ooo kelvin for a long time.
    IMO set the color by eye, then adjust intensity and decide on duration. the peak intensity(and time) is more the focus

here is an easy way to set your lights.
    http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showt...-Your-Leds-and-Lights-on-the-Cheap&highlight=
    a lux meter is $14. a sumbergable is $75
    https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/

For ease you can use one of the preset colors and modify the intensity. "

Boy is that interesting.
    I guess it would matter on how high the MH was and the reflector. for par delivery, and the LED was a bunch of focused beams.

13. donnievaz

Try this for starters and adjust to taste:

Whites 10%-15%
    Red 0%-5%
    Green 0%-5%
    Royal and deep blue 40%-50%
    Uv 5%-10%
    Violet 20%-30%

TheSoloist and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  14. donnievaz

So how's it going?

15. Zweiday

So far so great no bleaching thankfully, heres a couple pictures, im running acclimation mode aswell so in about a month or so itll ramp up over awhile, appreciate you seein how its going

20170426_080918.jpg

20170426_080922.jpg

donnievaz likes this.
  16. Zweiday

Speaking about how its going i got some gsp about 3 days ago maybe longer but it only is barely opening one maybe two polyps a day, just wondering if theyre pretty finicky, no signs of bleaching, or anything still nice purple mat just not opening.

17. donnievaz

In my experience when GSP closes up it usually stays closed for a little while. I wouldn't worry about it. It'll take a while to settle in.