According to CBS all the nicest tanks are on the brink of death

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

User1

View Badges
Ignoring CBS or any other news room now is a good time for the scientific community to check waters around the world. Mother Nature has had a 3 to 4 month break from humans and it would be interesting to see the water chemistry now around the endangered reefs. I would be willing to bet that it will be different today than say January 1st of this year.

What say you then happens next ;).

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope nope nope.... not touching that with a 15 foot barge pole with a carbon canister on the end

it’s wrong, but this isn’t the place to address it.
I guess we'll just have to disagree. I'd be happy to discuss it elsewhere.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing coral behavior on the reef with coral in an aquarium is a fools errand. They are apples and oranges.
Unless you can recreate the abundance of planktonic food with every incoming current and tide change.
Corals that dont have that constant food source would have to change their behavior to make up for the lost energy.
And acropora absolutely do eat live plankton all night in the wild.
Do you flood you tank with the perfect particle sized food for every coral every night all night, and keep ocean level water quality?
I wish.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we'll just have to disagree. I'd be happy to discuss it elsewhere.
Nah. Not agreeing to disagree. That’s not how I roll. When science is in play, there’s no room for fence-sitting or appeasement - I’ve spent 1/2 my life dedicated to science and I have ZERO bendwidrh for dealing with Deniers of any ilk, now more so than any other time

the science is in- you’re on the wrong side of it.

but that’s literally the last I’m going to talk about it, since these topics get confrontational pretty quick

as evidenced by your admission that all you wanted to do was “poke the bear”

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. Not agreeing to disagree. That’s not how I roll. When science is in play, there’s no room for fence-sitting or appeasement - I’ve spent 1/2 my life dedicated to science and I have ZERO bendwidrh for dealing with Deniers of any ilk, now more so than any other time

the science is in- you’re on the wrong side of it.

but that’s literally the last I’m going to talk about it, since these topics get confrontational pretty quick

as evidenced by your admission that all you wanted to do was “poke the bear”
Ah that's religion you're talking about not science. Science should always be tested, reevaluated. What we think we know today as a fact can change in an instant. There should never be a thing that is considered "settled" .

Ask Galileo.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't wrong, it's been theorized that the reason corals color up so vibrantly in our reefs is a defense where they produce more pigments that reflect uv light thus acting as a sunscreen and why they look so pretty to us.
Being an experienced diver I can tell you that on the reef a stag thats brown in three foot of water will be the same color as the same species thats growing at a 20 foot depth.
So, if light is a major factor with regards to coral coloration on the reef its more likely to be the "wasted" part of the sun spectrum that causes natural coral to appear brown. Not intensity.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that's religion you're talking about not science. Science should always be tested, reevaluated. What we think we know today as a fact can change in an instant. There should never be a thing that is considered "settled" .

Ask Galileo.
Wrong, again

and I’m going to ignore the religion part, since that’s not a road you want to travel down with this particular guy

there are scientific FACTS.
Fact- the sky is blue, and physics tells us why
Fact- bacteria and viruses cause disease and biology tells us how And why

and there are scientific theories. Theories should be continuously tested and hypotheses tuned. That’s science.

Science has proven that AGW is a real phenomenon. It doesn’t need to be retested. The mechanisms of why it continues should be evaluated and tested, of course, but not to disprove it. But sure, if some scientist somewhere discovers that GW is really caused by elephant farts- and he has data that supports it- then let’s go investigate

what your trying to push is Denial.

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it a confounding variable?
The corals simple genetic intelligence tells it that an increase in light will be followed by increased heat. There is nothing new about these mechanisms, most simple and even some advanced life forms depend on this genetically passed down knowledge for survival.
That's exactly what the confounding variable is. Color is related the light and light does always cause an increased temperature. In fact generally principles of light absorbtion would suggest that darker water would retain more heat, not clearer water.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong, again

there are scientific FACTS.
Fact- the sky is blue, and physics tells us why
Fact- bacteria and viruses cause disease and biology tells us how And why

and there are scientific theories. Theories should be continuously tested and hypotheses tuned. That’s science.

Science has proven that AGW is a real phenomenon. It doesn’t need to be retested. The mechanisms of why it continues should be evaluated and tested, of course, but not to disprove it. But sure, if some scientist somewhere discovers that GW is really caused by elephant farts- and he has data that supports it- then let’s go investigate

what your trying to push is Denial.
No theory can be proven. The sky isn't always blue. The climate changes. Always has, always will. More to do with the giant ball of fire in the sky than us.

People knew that the earth was the center of the universe too. Those that denied it were punished.

Sounds familiar.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, no need for name calling here. Lets keep it clean please
I didn’t name call - Just verbalized an old saying of my grandfathers . It’s Semantics, but it’s accurate.

but ok, let’s let the science deniers have their say. Not like it can do any harm, right (cough 100000 dead Americans cough ) ?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t name call - Just verbalized an old saying of my grandfathers . It’s Semantics, but it’s accurate.

but ok, let’s let the science deniers have their say. Not like it can do any harm, right (cough 100000 dead Americans cough ) ?
If the planet is warming then why is my freezer cold? Explain that smart science guy

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just like the model predicted millions of deaths even with the measurs taken to mitigate them. Kind of like the ones that claimed there wouldn't be any snow...

Cough... cough...

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like the model predicted millions of deaths even with the measurs taken to mitigate them. Kind of like the ones that claimed there wouldn't be any snow...

Cough... cough...

I'd like to see that one. Would you mind linking it? Thanks!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cough... cough...

I guess 100000 dead Americans isn’t enough to convince some people.

did you see the scenes out of theOzarks?
Or the boardwalks in Maryland?

those two events are going to cost around 20000 excess deaths. Just watch.

Now- I’m going to bow out of this ridiculous too and fro. I’m a 22 year career virologist and vaccine developer- so I don’t expect you to understand the current situation to the same degree as I do. And as my granddaddy used to say “that ain’t good sport”. So I’m not going to engage here.

but I just find it abhorrent that you and other people appear to be glossing over the fact that 100000 Americans are dead. Yeah- it’s not millions... but if all y’all keep going out in public and ignoring public health warnings and mandates- it will be. And sooner than you think

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see that one. Would you mind linking it? Thanks!
He can’t- because he is talking rubbish.

my colleagues and me ran the numbers early on and we were looking at 300000 dead by late august, if people acted at 70% of The level required by mandates. Given the scenes from places this weekend- and what’s happening in hospitals, I’m sad to see that number isn’t too far from the reality.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He can’t- because he is talking rubbish.

my colleagues and me ran the numbers early on and we were looking at 300000 dead by late august, if people acted at 70% of The level required by mandates. Given the scenes from places this weekend- and what’s happening in hospitals, I’m sad to see that number isn’t too far from the reality.

Thanks -- was assuming he was just misrepresenting that initial Imperial study as people with an agenda seem to like to do for some reason, but wanted to keep an open mind in case he's seen some compelling evidence that I haven't.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please refrain from personal attacks, or name calling and stay on topic. Failure to do these simple things will result in people getting thread banned or the thread locked. I know this can be a controversial topic but we are all adults and need to act like it. This is the second time a mod has had to post, it will also be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back