Accuracy of Seneye

U

User1

View Badges
If it wasn’t $200, I would be testing it already for accuracy, precision, response time/hysteresis, etc. If I have fun with the Oxydator investigation (~1\10 the cost), I may join you in this rabbit hole. Might also try validating the other sensors as well.

BRS Tv did the video testing the Par side of it I believe and compared it to some of the ones they use. I don't believe they focused on the slides though. I think @Dana Riddle maybe tested the Seneye also? Or maybe some comments in one of the treads. Not sure - I'll try a search here and see what I can find to jog my memory.

Decent tool all things considered for 200 bucks.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye does have the ability to offset a reading. Say ph or temperature if you trust another method more than the seneye.

The reason there is no calibration is because of the way this tests parameters And that you throw away the disc when its reached its length of use.

The par meter portion brs tested, and except near the sides of the tank, since its not cosine corrected, are within 5-10% of their $500 par meter. This feature alone pays for the seneye imo.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn’t $200, I would be testing it already for accuracy, precision, response time/hysteresis, etc. If I have fun with the Oxydator investigation (~1\10 the cost), I may join you in this rabbit hole. Might also try validating the other sensors as well.

Welcome to "wonderland" Alice:)

OP
OP
mrbluewildcats

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downloading the data to a computer for graphing and trends is fine but does the device alert (via email or text) you if reading is out of range?

You can set it up to give you email alerts of it's out of the water, or exceeds a parameter you can set. I don't know about texting you, haven't tried.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Tv did the video testing the Par side of it I believe and compared it to some of the ones they use. I don't believe they focused on the slides though. I think @Dana Riddle maybe tested the Seneye also? Or maybe some comments in one of the treads. Not sure - I'll try a search here and see what I can find to jog my memory.

Decent tool all things considered for 200 bucks.
For the price, the Seneye is a remarkable device (ionized ammonia for example.) The PAR sensor isn't cosine-corrected (meaning the it should exactly facing the light source for an accurate measurement) nor is there an option for a wand (meaning light reflected from your arm/hand is measured.) I don't recall if it is corrected for the immersion effect. With care, this device can deliver meaningful PAR results.

U

User1

View Badges
For the price, the Seneye is a remarkable device (ionized ammonia for example.) The PAR sensor isn't cosine-corrected (meaning the it should exactly facing the light source for an accurate measurement) nor is there an option for a wand (meaning light reflected from your arm/hand is measured.) I don't recall if it is corrected for the immersion effect. With care, this device can deliver meaningful PAR results.

Thank you for the information. Appreciate it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible to use a mindstream device to measure ammonia accuracy from a seneye

what other lab gear can be used to make a .009 sample and run it across a seneye to see if calib correctly. it would be neat if one person with a seneye in city A could measure + cart the sample over to buddy's house with MS or seneye to compare. brainstorming calibration ideas to see if the ammonia part is reliable.

the only thing that seems important to me is what it reports fully matured reefs running at, in the thousandths, that way we have some way to calibrate cycle completions. I wouldn't care if thousandths number ranged device to device, just as long as its not hundredths ppm on another tester

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible to use a mindstream device to measure ammonia accuracy from a seneye

what other lab gear can be used to make a .009 sample and run it across a seneye to see if calib correctly. it would be neat if one person with a seneye in city A could measure + cart the sample over to buddy's house with MS or seneye to compare. brainstorming calibration ideas to see if the ammonia part is reliable.

the only thing that seems important to me is what it reports fully matured reefs running at, in the thousandths, that way we have some way to calibrate cycle completions. I wouldn't care if thousandths number ranged device to device, just as long as its not hundredths ppm on another tester
One further dilution will get you to .01 ppm which this purpose will be close enough.

U

User1

View Badges

Seneye and MS are two different products and technologies. Although slide / disc sort of seem similar. MS are also no longer in play. Seneye has been around a while so plenty of data out there regarding their accuracy.

Edit: unless I am misunderstanding the question (which I probably am ;) )

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specifically in regards to NH3, my Seneye usually reads between 0.006 and 0.009. This morning it jumped down to 0.002, the lowest I've ever seen. Slide has been in for 8 days, so no soaking isn't an issue.

Is seneye that accurate to really read 0.002? I don't think less than 0.01 is of any concern, just curious as to the accuracy.
Was your pH especially low this morning ?

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One further dilution will get you to .01 ppm which this purpose will be close enough.
IMO - It is impossible to use a standard in order to measure free NH3 in water if you do not exactly know pH, temp and salinity. And in this low concentrations - you need to know the atmospheric pressure too.

In that method (orion ion sensitive electrodes) you bring up the pH to over 12. All NH3/NH4 will be in the form of NH3 and can be measured. I do not think that it is vise to submerge a seneye in pH 12

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I checked the accuracy of the Seneye device for measuring ionized ammonia and pH. Plugged the results I obtained for ammonia from a Hach colorimeter into an on-line calculator. Checked pH against a calibrated ATC pH probe as well. Results were extremely close. I was impressed,

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the accuracy of the Seneye device for measuring ionized ammonia and pH. Plugged the results I obtained for ammonia from a Hach colorimeter into an on-line calculator. Checked pH against a calibrated ATC pH probe as well. Results were extremely close. I was impressed,
In which concentrations for the NH3?

Sincerely Lasse

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The problem is that we are once again trusting vendors rather than doing good analytical science. The vendors have given us little or no reason to accept that their device’s ammonia readings are close to what they really are.

Why do you think vendors do not supply customers with data that supports the claims for their devices? And why do you suppose the vendors do not supply a reference solution or directions for testing their devices? The answer is partly practical. Their customers don’t care, so, why bother. The other part of the answer is that the data would likely raise more questions about the claims than support the claims.

Brandon, you are tempting me to buy this thing and put it through a battery of tests. But maybe we could just get @Rick Mathew to put testing his Seneye on his “to do” list and save me $200 :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if we searched out peer reviewed ammonia conversion rates online, they're for oceans not tanks :(

these rascals have cornered the market for the first reading, with nothing to baseline compare...yet? im still doing a captain morgan pose we're no where near .25, on anyone's digital measure.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if we searched out peer reviewed ammonia conversion rates online, they're for oceans not tanks :(

these rascals have cornered the market for the first reading, with nothing to baseline compare...yet? im still doing a captain morgan pose on the rolled up bottle bac machine we're no where near .25, on anyone's digital measure.

That’s another unfortunate thing about Seneye. What the device is actually measuring is not known because it is confounded with a calculation in a built conversion tool. No information about the numbers they are using. Not sure why the lack of transparency. Maybe transparency is not worth the effort to the bottom line.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In which concentrations for the NH3?

Sincerely Lasse
I used the Seneye to monitor ammonia in the live rock curing tub, so it was fairly high. Checked it against Hach's salicylate method. I've got results written down somewhere and will see if I can find them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back