Accuracy of Seneye

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You can set it up to give you email alerts of it's out of the water, or exceeds a parameter you can set. I don't know about texting you, haven't tried.

Even without the web server version? Meaning with just the 199 monitor?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the accuracy of the Seneye device for measuring ionized ammonia and pH. Plugged the results I obtained for ammonia from a Hach colorimeter into an on-line calculator. Checked pH against a calibrated ATC pH probe as well. Results were extremely close. I was impressed,

What Seneye claims to be measuring from their FAQ section: “This is why seneye measures NH3 directly”

I assume colorimetry test you used measures total ammonia nitrogen, NH3+NH4+, and online calculator provided the NH3 level for the given pH, temperature and salinity. Correct?

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that we are once again trusting vendors rather than doing good analytical science. The vendors have given us little or no reason to accept that their device’s ammonia readings are close to what they really are.

Why do you think vendors do not supply customers with data that supports the claims for their devices? And why do you suppose the vendors do not supply a reference solution or directions for testing their devices? The answer is partly practical. Their customers don’t care, so, why bother. The other part of the answer is that the data would likely raise more questions about the claims than support the claims.

Brandon, you are tempting me to buy this thing and put it through a battery of tests. But maybe we could just get @Rick Mathew to put testing his Seneye on his “to do” list and save me $200 :)

It can be done...as a matter of fact I was going to propose that very thing...it will go on my list of unexplored rabbit holes

OP
OP
mrbluewildcats

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even without the web server version? Meaning with just the 199 monitor?

Yep. It was $179 when I bought it, but that's the only thing I have. It comes with slides that are only good for 30 days, around $30 a piece. You can still use it for temperature and as a par meter without the slides, but with them it constantly measures pH and NH3 also. You don't need their reef server if you have a laptop or tablet, you just need a USB connection. If you don't have that, you can't really use the seneye anyway, because you couldn't see the readings.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 2nd hand unit with a wifi webserver (around 250 eur) and the main reason I got it was the alerts.

Measuring pH and ammonia makes little sense, but monitoring them is very useful.

If you add temperature and water level monitoring, it means you receive an alert that covers over 90% of the critical problems that can happen in a reef tank.

I notice that ammonia drops a little as each slide ages. I haven't noticed that with pH. The pH value does change when I replace a slide.

Getting the pack of 6 slides makes each slide cost around 10 eur.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. It was $179 when I bought it, but that's the only thing I have. It comes with slides that are only good for 30 days, around $30 a piece. You can still use it for temperature and as a par meter without the slides, but with them it constantly measures pH and NH3 also. You don't need their reef server if you have a laptop or tablet, you just need a USB connection. If you don't have that, you can't really use the seneye anyway, because you couldn't see the readings.
Does ammonia and pH readings stop automatically at thirty days if you don’t change the slide?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the PAR feature of the SenEye is a great value for a PAR Meter.

A buddy of mine brought one over and I tuned my lights.

PH is a nice thing to have, and plenty of Standalone PH testers, that you can test more than just your tank.

IF YOU REALLY are in need of Ammonia Testing, like I do when doing QT setups.
This is the best value and it works. (Just as good). Price speaks for itself. LASTS MONTHS. (Actually 1 YEAR)

Sure not not as sensitive down to 0.005, but it has the Ranges you need to keep fish healthy, and to catch the Ammonia Rise in time.

I always put one Tag on my Small 10 Gal QT tanks (which can easily have a Nitrite or Ammonia Spike), and it's saved me many times (We'll Saved MY FISH that is)

Last edited:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Seneye claims to be measuring from their FAQ section: “This is why seneye measures NH3 directly”

I assume colorimetry test you used measures total ammonia nitrogen, NH3+NH4+, and online calculator provided the NH3 level for the given pH, temperature and salinity. Correct?
I can't speak for Seneye's claims. The Hach salicylate method reports total ammonia. I plugged the Seneye's values for ammonia, pH, and temperature into the online calculator. I don't recall if barometric pressure was part of the equation, but I could provide that value.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back