Achilles tang has swim bladder

greenwind82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my Achilles tang has swim bladder issue after a week in hyposalination quarantine. To make it worse, he got stuck with the heater one night and lost a big chunk of his flesh on his upper body. I was treating him with Furan 2 to prevent infection and epsom salt for the swim bladder. It’s been 1 week now, his wound is healing but he is still having swim bladder issue. He has a swollen stomach in the attached picture. Should I try to decompress him with the needle? He is still pretty strong, tries to grab any foods that floating by.

FC600793-E2E9-4067-9A6E-DBB94605529E.jpeg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at this point it would likely need vented to recover. There is a really good thread here on doing it, I'll find the link and post it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
greenwind82

greenwind82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have good news . It was hard to see my fish struggling chasing food so I decided to vent his bladder last night. It was a scary process as I have never done this before. The hardest part was trying to pierce through his skin without too much force. After releasing him back to the quarantine tank, he swam the same, on his side at the surface. This morning, I saw him trying to correct himself successfully once or twice but still on his side most of the times. Coming home from work this evening, I am surprised to see him swimming around now, not fully recover yet but he is almost there . Thanks everyone for your well wishes!!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have good news . It was hard to see my fish struggling chasing food so I decided to vent his bladder last night. It was a scary process as I have never done this before. The hardest part was trying to pierce through his skin without too much force. After releasing him back to the quarantine tank, he swam the same, on his side at the surface. This morning, I saw him trying to correct himself successfully once or twice but still on his side most of the times. Coming home from work this evening, I am surprised to see him swimming around now, not fully recover yet but he is almost there . Thanks everyone for your well wishes!!

Awesome! Congrats, now you need really watch the insertion point for infection. I would consider running ABX’s to allow the immune system to really kick in while this heals.

OP
OP
greenwind82

greenwind82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He has just completed a full treatment of Furan-2 couple days ago for the wounded flesh on the other side of his body. The quarantine tank water still have some Furan-2 in there. Do I need to give him another full treatment?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He has just completed a full treatment of Furan-2 couple days ago for the wounded flesh on the other side of his body. The quarantine tank water still have some Furan-2 in there. Do I need to give him another full treatment?

Just watch that spot carefully and if you see any sign of infection just be ready so it doesn’t get away from you.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back