Venting a swim bladder

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that my yellow assessor has an issue with his swim bladder. I have seen the video showing how to vent a swim bladder, however I’m wanting to get as much information as I can from others who are familiar with these problems or who have performed the procedure. I don’t know that I am going to attempt trying it just because the fish is very small but I would like to familiarize myself with any knowledge I can just in case. Also if anyone knows some references to anatomy for this type of fish I would like to see it.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the links Humble, I had seen the first one but not the second. Have you performed this procedure before? @Bmwm235i do you have any first hand insight to share?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you performed this procedure before?

It's been a long time since I've had to vent a swim bladder. Is the gas bubble visible enough to target with a needle? If so, it's pretty straightforward as documented in @Bmwm235i's video/tutorial. I like using MS-222 to sedate the fish beforehand and iodine on the insertion point afterwards to ward off potential infection.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humble, I had forgotten about a sedative. Do you know where I could get the MS222?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the links Humble, I had seen the first one but not the second. Have you performed this procedure before? @Bmwm235i do you have any first hand insight to share?
Hey there. Yes I have done this about 12 or 14 times nows. I've helped out my lfs a lot. I do not use any sedative. I have yet to lose a fish... Imo the qt tank the fish is in is most important to keep it clean to prevent any infections... Lights off for a day or two and keep the stress levels down so have some hiding spots for the fish.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done it on a small fish like an assessor before? I’ve been trying to find some of the ms-222 all day but I only have one vet near me who carries it and they aren’t allowed to sell it since it is used for euthanasia. I found a company that had it but even 3 day shipping which is too long is about $80 :eek:.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have some articles on anatomy that I could look at? I’ll take a look at those companies you posted Humble. At the very least I can get some to have on hand.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have some articles on anatomy that I could look at? I’ll take a look at those companies you posted Humble. At the very least I can get some to have on hand.
What I did was studied the way the blackcap was supposed to look normally so I knew how much air to take out. The bladder is in the same general area on fish. Once you have the fish out and on a clear platform with a bright light under it you will clearly see the insides of the fish. I used a 12" strip of leds. Put one layer of paper towel over the light to filter it a bit like a lense. Once the fish was on the glass platform you see almost everything. The fish was only 2.5 inches at the time. I did a 2 inch royal gamma.. that was the smallest I did. I really should have videoed each procedure to post on here... Dropped the ball on that one.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the advice and all the links. Unfortunately my assessor passed away two hours after the attempt. He was so tiny I couldn’t rightly tell when I was in the swim bladder and I had to poke him twice. I think the stress of it all might have been too much. Ugh, I am really frustrated at this point, that makes 3 fish that have died in the past two weeks and I can’t figure out why my fish are dying on me. My chalk basslet brought in intestinal parasites and I didn’t catch it in time and he withered away and perished even though I was treating them all. Only a couple days after that my gorgeous labouts wrasse’s eyes looked swollen and died two days later and right after that the assessor started with the swim bladder issues. And he was my favorite. I just want a pretty tank, why can’t I keep any fish alive? Sorry, rant :(.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry to hear. Qt qt and qt my best advice. All of fish go through qt. Prazi two rounds..then observe for 2 weeks for other issues. Since taking on this practice I've never contaminated my dt.

Back