Acro base turning white

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got new acros; I've had them about 5 days.
One is doing well, good polyp extension and coloration. It took about a day for the polyps to emerge.
The other is turning white at the base, but I'm pretty sure I see little polyps peeking out. Is this STN? Any advice?

tempImageUrC1OR.png

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be.
Are those frags encrusted onto the plug at all, or did they ship fresh-cut frags?

OP
OP
K

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they were encrusted, but I cut the frags off the plugs and put them on new plugs. Could I just have injured the base?

OP
OP
K

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white part increased a bit this morning. So I cut it off above the STN'd part and put the healthy bit on a new plug. Anything else I should do? Thank you!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you carbon dosing? Using vibrant? Gfo?
While I have seen your threads and pictures, and have no doubt you know how to color up and grow SPS. Many, many people use all 3 or a combination of those three without issues with SPS, myself included.

I really wish you would stop contributing every problem with SPS on one of those three.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a "new" system?
Good question. Looking again at the pic, it looks like it might be a QT system, and while the eggcrate has some crusty stuff on it, the tank (from what I can see in the pic) looks pretty clean.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have seen your threads and pictures, and have no doubt you know how to color up and grow SPS. Many, many people use all 3 or a combination of those three without issues with SPS, myself included.

I really wish you would stop contributing every problem with SPS on one of those three.
I don’t contribute every problem to 1 of those 3. It’s a good baseline question for stn on new frags in what looks like an immature tank. Why don’t you let the OP answer the question instead of harping on me for trying to help.

I wouldn’t say your method is full proof either

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha lol that was from windex lol. But I see your point. I'll stop derailing the thread.

Like I said, I have no doubt you know your stuff.
Wow!! Did two people just disagree in a non elevated way and didnt have to start a war to see who was righter?!! Kudos @homer1475 I wish more people would take this approach and not take every comment on a thread as a personal attack

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only beacuse I know he knows his stuff when it come to SPS. Just have a look at his picture thread, or any pictures he posts.

I personally have used all 3 with no ill effect to any of my coral, but I also don't keep collector SPS. I just find the prices to be too insane, but I do keep SPS none the less.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only beacuse I know he knows his stuff when it come to SPS. Just have a look at his picture thread, or any pictures he posts.

I personally have used all 3 with no ill effect to any of my coral, but I also don't keep collector SPS. I just find the prices to be too insane, but I do keep SPS none the less.
I apologize for snapping back like that but it was a little frustrating coming from you. You know I spend a lot of time trying to help ppl not inadvertently kill corals. But anyways. Sorry about that

4 years ago I was following the sps handbook chasing numbers (using those 3 methods), in a new upgraded tank, with hydra leds and minimal fish bio load etc couldn’t keep anything alive longer than a month. I killed a lot of sps and wasted a lot of money.

If you scroll through my posts history you’ll see most of my advice is directed to newbies, new tanks, number chasers and hydra users…With the occasional Tenuis input or show off.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My base events usually are due to phosphate dropping or alk rising. I’ve had some fun converting to A4R. The good news is that can stop and grow back as long as you stabilize things. I’m also following along for the carbon dosing vs windex fight.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no fight here.

Adults can agree to disagree without fighting over it. While I do agree to an extent with @Charlie's frags(still no idea why that tag won't work?), you really need to understand what your doing when using these products, and many people do not. Thats where the problems start as he pointed out(helping people new to SPS not kill corals). So I do understand why he asks that all the time.

OP
OP
K

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. Looking again at the pic, it looks like it might be a QT system, and while the eggcrate has some crusty stuff on it, the tank (from what I can see in the pic) looks pretty clean.
It is a QT system, yes. I guess it's technically fairly new - been running since June but it's seeded with media from my DT which has been running about 10 months. I have acans, hammers, digis, scolys, and montis in there right now as well. They are all doing very well, and I know the parameters for success can vary for those as opposed to acros. I do weekly water changes for stability, only adding aminos right now and running carbon.

OP
OP
K

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the parameters? No fish?
No fish, one astrea snail. 10g system.

Alk - 7.9
Ca - 430
Mg - 1350
I need to check nitrates and phosphates.

This is in a QT system, so while ideally the frags will thrive, if in this new-ish system the best I can hope for is that they will survive for six weeks until I can put them in my DT, I can live with that :/

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish, one astrea snail. 10g system.

Alk - 7.9
Ca - 430
Mg - 1350
I need to check nitrates and phosphates.

This is in a QT system, so while ideally the frags will thrive, if in this new-ish system the best I can hope for is that they will survive for six weeks until I can put them in my DT, I can live with that :/
Any idea what the par is?

Back