Acro died overnight

tack22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home to my Walt Disney acro completely dead. I check my tank everyday so there is no way this died slowly.

Previously it was lacking new growth and the very bottom was starting to turn slight brown but the rest of the coral looked healthy. Because of this I ordered test kits for alk/mag/cal because currently I run a LPS/Softie dominant tank.

Any ideas what could have happened?!

Nitrate 10-15
Salinity 1.25

IMG_9412.jpeg

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without knowing alk/calc it's hard to tell if something like an alk swing happened killing your acro

do you know if a temp swing may have happened?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, but if you want to try Acropora a good beginner acros are green slimmer or staghorn Acropora.
Walt Disney might not be the best beginner coral.

Good luck,

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a tough coral, and hard to diagnose with a hunch of the cause. what swings can you think of that may have happened ? do you have any other acropora? I've had quite a few go overnight without knowing why so don't feel bad if you can't put a finger on the exact reasons. I agree to try some cheaper more hardy acros before shelling out big bucks on big name corals. good luck

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home to my Walt Disney acro completely dead. I check my tank everyday so there is no way this died slowly.

Previously it was lacking new growth and the very bottom was starting to turn slight brown but the rest of the coral looked healthy. Because of this I ordered test kits for alk/mag/cal because currently I run a LPS/Softie dominant tank.

Nitrate 10-15
Salinity 1.25

IMG_9412.jpeg
Is that galaxia in the top right corner of the photo? That stuff needs A LOT of spacing from anything else.
Otherwise, what is your PO4 (measured via Hanna ULR)?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrate 10-15
Salinity 1.25

IMG_9412.jpeg
SG is 1.25 or 1.025?

Could have;
Gotten stung
Alk swing
To low par(not a quick death)
To low po4(not quick death)
Toxin from "softies" (not quick death)
Acclimation problem?
Something from vendor not showing up until in your hands

Edit: side note, should make sure you have all the tools first before dabbling. Ei: have the test kits before the coral not the other way around.
That's like getting a race bike and see if you like it before getting a race Helmet. It won't protect you if you don't have it.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Walt Disney doesn’t look encrusted on rock. It may be new to the tank. These acropora are hard to keep and require established tanks with , (stable) parameters including but not limited to alkalinity

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back