acro eating star or other issue?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to go around posting this on all the asterina threads too... until I got the strain that eats SPS.

Nobody is saying all asterina eat corals. But there is at least one type that does. Just because yours don’t eat coral, doesn’t mean it’s not happening to other people.

Then it's not an Asterina. This is the problem with common names in the hobby. Just because it looks similar doesn't mean it's the same species, so it shouldn't have the same name.

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it's not an Asterina. This is the problem with common names in the hobby. Just because it looks similar doesn't mean it's the same species, so it shouldn't have the same name.

you are cracking me up. I probably have thousands of starfish in my tank that look like asterina. I don't think it matters whether they are truly an asterina species or not. it's a small starfish eating our coral that looks like an asterina.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are cracking me up. I probably have thousands of starfish in my tank that look like asterina. I don't think it matters whether they are truly an asterina species or not. it's a small starfish eating our coral that looks like an asterina.

I understand where you're coming from, but don't you think being able to identify and properly name the species eating your corals could be beneficial to the hobby?

Calling every small star an "Asterina" doesn't help progress the hobby, nor our understanding of whats in our tank.

If Copepods and amphipods can be properly ID'd, if Dino's can get a proper ID... Why can't stars? It would be beneficial to know what we have. Otherwise we may as well just call all fish "fish".

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dealt with asterina's for 15+ years. They never hurt anything but algae right? About four years ago in my office tank some decided to start eating my GSP. Added a Harlequin shrimp and he cleaned out 99% before passing on. They eventually came back and the tank was overstocked with asterinas again they never bothered any corals. Maybe they are like fish, you can have 6 flame angels that are reef safe and one is not. But with asterinas it is 500 to one?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dealt with asterina's for 15+ years. They never hurt anything but algae right? About four years ago in my office tank some decided to start eating my GSP. Added a Harlequin shrimp and he cleaned out 99% before passing on. They eventually came back and the tank was overstocked with asterinas again they never bothered any corals. Maybe they are like fish, you can have 6 flame angels that are reef safe and one is not. But with asterinas it is 500 to one?

I think the real problem is there's a whole bunch of little starfish everyone just calls "Asterina", the name Asterina basically means "small starfish" at this point, rather than a specific named species.

I understand identifying little blotchy starfish the size of pencil eraser isn't the easiest task -- But i also feel were at a point in this hobby where just calling something a benign name isn't progressing the hobby as well as it could.

I'm gonna be hyperbolic here to emphasize what I'm saying;

Fish
great-white-shark-bait-2-620x440.jpg

Fish
133500L.jpg

Fish
scientists-found-a-creepy-fanged-fish-in-australia-thats-far-more-common-than-everyone-thinks.jpg

I've got several species of "Asterina" starfish in my tank. Most of them are tiny, the size of a pencils eraser. Some of them are the size of a thumb nail. Some are mostly purple, some are splotchy. I have one that looks like a triangle, i've got one that looks like a square, I've got dozens of micro brittle stars that max out at about 1.5-2", which most people say is way too large for "micro" brittle stars (I know they're a small species, but not the traditional "micro").

I don't think it would be such a bad thing to properly ID these stars. They most certainly already have names, we just need to be able to recognize them, that way if something is happening in the tank and we do have a coralvore, we can do something about instead of just throwing out a bunch of little stars, which may or may not solve the persons problem.

To me, the problem and answer are always more complex.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you are so adamant that Asterina (the genus) in particular do not eat coral? Do you have any scientific references for this?

I’m not sure there is much value added in splitting hairs. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Look, people like the OP want to know are there little starfish that eat coral. The answer is YES. At this point you’re just arguing over what they’re called... which doesn’t really change anything.

Did a little looking around and Aquilonastra is another genus that looks like Asterina, but with the dark coloration that is usually reported to eat coral. Maybe these guys are the coral eaters, and Asterina are taking the blame, but I don’t feel like sorting through scientific literature to find out. And at the end of the day, I’m not sure it matters what you call them - they’re little starfish that eat your coral, and a harlequin shrimp will eat them.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a little looking around and Aquilonastra is another genus that looks like Asterina, but with the dark coloration that is usually reported to eat coral. Maybe these guys are the coral eaters, and Asterina are taking the blame, but I don’t feel like sorting through scientific literature to find out. And at the end of the day, I’m not sure it matters what you call them - they’re little starfish that eat your coral, and a harlequin shrimp will eat them.

I know, it's a quirk of mine. I understand and absolutely appreciate what you're saying. My only qualm is misidentifying an issue won't solve the problem. I think it would be beneficial in general for us to know, and spot the difference. I don't doubt starfish eat corals, not at all -- I just believe misidentifying the issue can only make things worse, as people tend to back off and wait for improvement, which may never come.

Think of it like Nudi's. Pretend you've got a zoa tank, but you have a pest ID'ed as a Monti Eating Nudi -- You don't have any monti's, no worries, they'll starve out. But why are my zoas dying? these aren't zoa eating nudi's, what gives? Oh well, it must be this piece of plastic. Maybe my equipment is rusting. Maybe I need a new triton test. Maybe it's my popcorn ceiling. Maybe I dosed too much this, or that. Maybe it's nutrients. Maybe it's old take syndrome. Maybe someone sprayed aresol in my living room without telling me. Etc etc etc.

Like i said, I know that there are some that eat corals, and I know in the grand scheme of things this isn't the biggest thing to gripe on. But misidentifying an issue means you're going to keep having those issue. So for me, I think it's just another thing that allows you properly identify your issues -- I'm thinking beyond the animal itself, and the larger problem of "whats happening in my tank".

I hope that at leasts helps explain why I'm saying it may be useful for us to have a proper ID -- Does that make sense? I feel like maybe I hadn't properly explained why I think it's important, I hope this clears that up.

OP
OP
erky

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright i caught one of these little fawkers, was chewing on my large bonsai acro. My macro lens has vanished so this is about as good and close as i could get, but I will be getting a harlequin shrimp here shortly.

IMG_20180220_163105_zpsvxwo4x1u.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back