Acro Polyp Extension With High Flow

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone says I need crazy high flow for my acros, but i've noticed that when my flow is lower i get way better polyp extension. I have an MP60 and XF350 about a foot away from acro island both at around 20% and the polyps pull in big time. If i turn off my gyre (or the mp60, just reduce flow basically) a couple of my tenuis start to look like wooly mammoths because they get so much extension. Is polyp extension a good sign of happiness or should i really be sticking with higher flow and just be okay that i'm not getting great extension?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get better extension when flow is higher. But nothing directed right at the coral as mentioned above. Just get the water moving fast enough but there’s no reason to blast corals directly.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure how to do that without hitting the coral. They are a foot away (which i thought was plenty of space) from the different gyres/powerheads it's hard not to have them hit in some capacity unless i aim them directly at the surface?

Last edited:

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A foot away with an MP60 is too close IMO. I use 2 MP40s on my 80g and neither are pointed directly at any corals. I'm able to run at 90% Reefcrest Anti-sync 24/7 and the corals love it.

I mounted mine in the bottom rear corners of the tank (back glass) and they shoot flow forward and to the center which swirls it all throughout the tank. I also have some loc line nozzles on my returns that I can aim as well. You can see here in the side glass reflection were I have mine mounted.

511.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back