Acro polyp extension

stickman87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am just getting into sps and have one green slimmer for 4 or 5 weeks doing great and growing but no polyp extension ever.. And have another type of acro and polyps are out all the time I just didn't know if it was a bad thing that I never see them out on one... I have high flow on them didn't know if that was the problem. Water levels are all good tested today using red sea kits
CA 450
Alk 10
Mg 1450
Salinity 1.025
Temp 77
586d1d37b6131d74b3dee303da8fc961.jpg
4ea15a068997d8f56b169c2a0f675aeb.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slimmers tend to show smaller polyps unlike those polyps you see with Millepora or Tenuis. Do your self a favor and do not get wrapped up in why one Acropora in your tank has great PE and another doesn't, you'll drive yourself mad. As long as you see decent coloration and growth all is good.
Hard to make out one acropora from the other, images with less blue and more white would help. :) Slimmer image #2?

Thank you for providing parameters.

OP
OP
S

stickman87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slimmers tend to show smaller polyps unlike those polyps you see with Millepora or Tenuis. Do your self a favor and do not get wrapped up in why one Acropora in your tank has great PE and another doesn't, you'll drive yourself mad. As long as you see decent coloration and growth all is good.
Hard to make out one acropora from the other, images with less blue and more white would help. :) Slimmer image #2?

Thank you for providing parameters.
I'll get better pics tomorrow slimer is pic #1 lol at least that is what I was told when I got it. But Ya it's never lost color and is growing I just thought it was weird that only 1 is like that

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at night, after lights have been out for a couple of hours, or better yet in the morning before lights come on. Healthy acros will always have polyp extension when dark, it varies wildly during the day. I have no found an exception to this rule and any acro that shows no nighttime extension is usually in trouble. I only have one that lacks it at the moment and it's in big trouble, already having an episode of RTN on a branch.

My slimer has big fat green polyps out all the time, but nothing picks on it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp extension means nothing. Most PE is for gas exchange. Sometimes, more PE can mean that you have dissolved gas levels that are off or high nutrients, but people think that this is good. Low PE can be from pests, predators or that your coral is perfectly fine and does not want to risk exposed polyps for nothing.

Don't sweat PE at all. Growth and color are better indicators of health.

OP
OP
S

stickman87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good like I said it's color is there and growing I just thought it was weird that I've never seen them on that one. Thanks

Back