Acro recommendations

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef! I recently started my tank all over with new dry rock and would like to try a different approach this time. My last tank had a lot of rocks and a lot of different types of acros. I had a tank crash after the upgrade and lost all my corals. This time I have stax rocks Going for the banzai look and would like to have maybe 7 different types of acros max. This way they will have room to grow into big colonies.
What acros would you recommend? Here’s what I have in mind. Let me know if there is anything you would change.
Walt Disney
Homewrecker
Orange passion
Oregon tort
Acid trip millepora.
So far I can only come up with those listed above.
What would you recommend?
Here’s what the tank at the moment with all new rocks.
Thanks reef2reef!
FF4F7B51-037A-4A1A-987D-200E097B9857.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that rock structure I would recommend a monti cap. That way it can grow outward.

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. Pink lemonade is a good one.
I had a red monti cap in my last tank. If I can find one of a different color I would definitely put one in.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's an interesting and unique rock pile. It looks like a stack of rice crackers. You have picked out the most expensive sticks they sell. Good choice. Get what you like. Just dont be upset if it looks nothing like the pic in your tank! Homewrecker is the only one I have seen look stunning under normal aquarium lighting. Everything looks like any other frag you can get for $20. Sure you will be able to fire up your DSLR and Photoshop and make it look cool. Whatever you do, dont go dropping $800 and add all that to your tank. Grab a couple pieces to start and make sure your setup is going to be conducive to your taste in animals. Also keep in mind that your tastes will change with time when being a newb in this hobby. Dont buy colonies... get small frags and let them grow out. Id also consider grabbing some normal reef rock and using that shelf rock sparingly as it looks highly unnatural. Good luck.

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting and unique rock pile. It looks like a stack of rice crackers. You have picked out the most expensive sticks they sell. Good choice. Get what you like. Just dont be upset if it looks nothing like the pic in your tank! Homewrecker is the only one I have seen look stunning under normal aquarium lighting. Everything looks like any other frag you can get for $20. Sure you will be able to fire up your DSLR and Photoshop and make it look cool. Whatever you do, dont go dropping $800 and add all that to your tank. Grab a couple pieces to start and make sure your setup is going to be conducive to your taste in animals. Also keep in mind that your tastes will change with time when being a newb in this hobby. Dont buy colonies... get small frags and let them grow out. Id also consider grabbing some normal reef rock and using that shelf rock sparingly as it looks highly unnatural. Good luck.
Thanks for chiming in. I’ve been in the hobby for a while now. My last tank had all those acros I mentioned in my list. I had real reef rock covered with acros. It wasn’t tank of the month but still covered with acros and looked pretty good. I just want to try out these rocks. I think it will look a lot better and more natural once the corals full in all the space and cover up the sharp edges.
Here’s a picture of my last tank.
04246ABE-FA75-48FA-A553-D2295AE6EA55.jpeg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Based off what you already have on your list I would add---

Palmers Blue Milli
Paletta Pink tip
Red table -- many to choose from
Intense Pink Milli-- find the brightest one.........name not important
Pearlberry
Shortcake---name not important

A deep purple coral-- BC Joker, ARC Fireworks are a few. A deep purple bodied secale or valida would work well too.

I'd stay away from caps and fast growing staghorns. They end up taking up too much space.

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that list I would add a nice red stag or just scratch the whole list and focus on growth form first, then find out what colors you would like each to be, then pic your corals from there.

Nilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that list I would add a nice red stag or just scratch the whole list and focus on growth form first, then find out what colors you would like each to be, then pic your corals from there.

I agree with above. Pick your colors and the growth forms that you want. The other thing is, if you pick out those premium acros, most of the time they're expensive and sought after because they're painfully slow growers and will take time before filling out the space you have for them. So it may be a long time looking at a bare tank

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock work would be awesome for some tables! Red planet, clatharta’s, Superman table, wwc heartbreaker ect

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back