Acropora bleaching!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOVE YOUR POST!!! Thank you so much for this message!! I appreciate that you took the time and read that I did listen to everyone when they said that my tank was too young, but the coral is already in the tank, my LFS will not take any coral from me and I am not a part of a club or organization that can house my tank until the coral matures. I created this thread to try to do whatever I can to give my living organisms the best chance of survival with the understanding that I was on a rocky road with how I startex. It is upsetting that some people just want to keep telling me that my tank is too you ( I already kbow this, that is why I created the thread to get HELP from other more seasoned reefers. Some can only focus on the problem and forget that the problem can't disappear now, it happened days ago and I can't turn back time. I will definitely learn from the experience and make sure my tanks are mature in the future, but I needed help to save what I can in this tank!! Thank you again for understanding and I PROMISE, tgis mistake will not happen in future tanks, lesson learned!!
My tank is new too, though I am not new at reefing. I'm always happy to help. If you can remember this 6 months from now, hit me up. I'll send you a free frag pack to help you out.

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g and 1 AI prime will grow the acros but they need to be higher up and under your light. You can get a 2nd AI prime and acclimate your softies over time to the light shift and grow SPS in that tank from most anywhere except maybe iffy on the sand bottom. You'd have to test the par.

If you won a radion (i think you mentioned earlier u did) and have that you could always throw that bad boy on your tank as well.

As someone who has your size tank running I would do less water changes
And not feed reef roids as much. Maybe not feed your fish as much either. But definitely cut back on the roids. If you're changing out 30% of your water everywhere and its going up in nitrates that much I think a skimmer and less food for everyone. I would reduce everything and do like 3-5gallon changes

You could also invest in a skimmer they make some that aren't super expensive for this size of water volume that work well enough. (I won't say great)

And if you want to run some type if carbon product just try carbon maybe not with the Phosphate reducers in it unless you get a little better Phosphate test. The Hanna Phosphate checker could be your friend. You can get away with red sea and salifert tests for the rest I like my hanna calc and alk tester as well but I would spend the money on the Phosphate Hanna checker.

I also saw you ask about Live Rock and doesn't it carry pests sometimes.... the answer is yes but I have found that almost everyone in this hobby no matter how hard they try will end up with some pests in their tank. Maybe not aptasia but worms or nuisance star fish. The benefits of good live rock almost always outweigh the bad.

Side bar I think you should keep the 75g and just wait awhile and definitely continue to research and enjoy the hobby and don't let any of the negative people get you down.

If you have any other questions let me know. I can try to give my 2 cents but as you've said you have the coral in your tank and want to do what you can for them.
Much appreciated. I have been looking at some small skimmers from Fluval as I have maybe a 5" × 5" opening for a skimmer on my present sump, but will have more space in my new sump (for the 75g), baught a IceCap 15A from BRS (they are 20% off at the moment). I was thinking of using the Radiin, but did not want to change yet another parameter in my tank and have them acclimate to new conditions. I want to give them at least a month to gey used to what I have I am going to remove plugs this weekend and glue everyone in their permanemt positions (here's a rough draft of ny locafioms again):

Attachments

• 20210612_181920.jpg
    20210612_181920.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is new too, though I am not new at reefing. I'm always happy to help. If you can remember this 6 months from now, hit me up. I'll send you a free frag pack to help you out.
Awesome!! Thank you so much!!! I will be in this feed as long as possible!! I will keep updating my new tank build as well and welcome all feedback to make it as smooth as possible!! Thanks for all your help!!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated. I have been looking at some small skimmers from Fluval as I have maybe a 5" × 5" opening for a skimmer on my present sump, but will have more space in my new sump (for the 75g), baught a IceCap 15A from BRS (they are 20% off at the moment). I was thinking of using the Radiin, but did not want to change yet another parameter in my tank and have them acclimate to new conditions. I want to give them at least a month to gey used to what I have I am going to remove plugs this weekend and glue everyone in their permanemt positions (here's a rough draft of ny locafioms again):

The placements arent bad I would put whatever acros or sps you can under the light as high as possible. Like you planned.. Some montis are cool with less but definitely any sticks as high as possible and under the light. The softies are cool to hang out wherever. Most will acclimate to higher light. Especially leathers. I also had a kenya tree right under the light and it did fine. I decided to move it though to make room. Green star polyps will grow wherever whenever. If you don't want them to take over your rock work I suggest putting them on their own rock and make it an island in your tank.

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The placements arent bad I would put whatever acros or sps you can under the light as high as possible. Like you planned.. Some montis are cool with less but definitely any sticks as high as possible and under the light. The softies are cool to hang out wherever. Most will acclimate to higher light. Especially leathers. I also had a kenya tree right under the light and it did fine. I decided to move it though to make room. Green star polyps will grow wherever whenever. If you don't want them to take over your rock work I suggest putting them on their own rock and make it an island in your tank.
Will be using that top rock as the island when I move them to the 75g in like 6 to 8 months (these will move first as they are the strongest), If I see them moving to one of the base rock I will move them over to that empty center area until I can move them. I know Green stars grow fast, but I should have time right?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be using that top rock as the island when I move them to the 75g in like 6 to 8 months (these will move first as they are the strongest), If I see them moving to one of the base rock I will move them over to that empty center area until I can move them. I know Green stars grow fast, but I should have time right?
Yeah it should take a couple months to fill a whole rock for sure. If they get really happy they'll grow pretty swiftly.

20210615_203051.jpg

That is mine and it is about fist size. Its taken 2.5 months to do that. Maybe a little longer. But you should be fine. I just wanted warn you incase you had some other plans for that rock it was on. Lol

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some picks of the stuff I received
Yeah it should take a couple months to fill a whole rock for sure. If they get really happy they'll grow pretty swiftly.

20210615_203051.jpg

That is mine and it is about fist size. Its taken 2.5 months to do that. Maybe a little longer. But you should be fine. I just wanted warn you incase you had some other plans for that rock it was on. Lol
Thank you! Got some pulsing xenia too thatvI am going to isolate.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some picks of the stuff I received

Thank you! Got some pulsing xenia too thatvI am going to isolate.
That may grow quicker than the green star polyps and some people hate it. I think its cool definitely isolate it. And if any ends up where you don't want it pull it off with tweezers or something pretty quick.

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some picks of my stuff, what I have gotten so far. I am still waiting for the gate valve, unions (received the wrong ones today, so now I wait til Sunday! Yay:rolleyes:), sump, sand, rock, and return. I saw some info about brightwell bricks so was going to get those as biomedia, and a protein skimmer and refugium in a couple of months (need to replenish $$$).

Attachments

• 20210615_183218.jpg
    20210615_183218.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210615_183222.jpg
    20210615_183222.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210615_183409.jpg
    20210615_183409.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210615_183227.jpg
    20210615_183227.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210615_183222.jpg
    20210615_183222.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210615_183218.jpg
    20210615_183218.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may grow quicker than the green star polyps and some people hate it. I think its cool definitely isolate it. And if any ends up where you don't want it pull it off with tweezers or something pretty quick.
Yes sir! I like the pulsing, but don't want it everywhere, might just give it away if I can.

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think of taking a brick of marine pure into my LFS and asking them to keep it in their sump for a couple of weeks to seed my 75g? I know an awesome shop that keeps a beautiful tank up front with acros or am I asking for trouble doing this?

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some picks of my stuff, what I have gotten so far. I am still waiting for the gate valve, unions (received the wrong ones today, so now I wait til Sunday! Yay:rolleyes:), sump, sand, rock, and return. I saw some info about brightwell bricks so was going to get those as biomedia, and a protein skimmer and refugium in a couple of months (need to replenish $$$).
You can't see the PVC, but it's 1" purple schedule 80 PVC.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word if caution...
Xenia is cool, but it is a friggin' weed. Isolation doesn't do a lot of good. Any little fragment that falls off and floats around can land and start a colony anywhere in your tank.
I have it in my 16g cube and it's a gigantic pain. Sooooo glad I didn't put it in my main display.

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... time to make this a sale thread:D!! Who wants to get a pulsin Xenia frag from WWC? DM me your address,29.99 S&H, and I will FedEx right to you! ) LOL!!!

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word if caution...
Xenia is cool, but it is a friggin' weed. Isolation doesn't do a lot of good. Any little fragment that falls off and floats around can land and start a colony anywhere in your tank.
I have it in my 16g cube and it's a gigantic pain. Sooooo glad I didn't put it in my main display.
No wonder that frag only cost me $10

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think of taking a brick of marine pure into my LFS and asking them to keep it in their sump for a couple of weeks to seed my 75g? I know an awesome shop that keeps a beautiful tank up front with acros or am I asking for trouble doing this?
You could ask your LFS, but they probably wouldn’t want to put anything into their slump that they weren’t going to keep there.

Now, regarding your current build. I am going to try to save you some money and frustration. There are a few thing that your tank needs to survive. Good lighting, rock for bacteria, and good flow are musts. Anything else depends on how you want to run your tank and what you want to keep in there. IMO, simple is better, but just like everyone else, it is just an opinion. You need to decide what type of system you want to run and then make a plan and stick with it. If you constantly change things and buy new items based on an article or opinion you have read, you are going to be chasing problems and spending a lot of money for nothing.

So, this is my advice. Get your rock and sand if you want sand. Rinse that sand very well, you won’t rinse off any bacteria that’s there, so don’t worry about that. Clean sand to start will pay off later. Get water in your tank and start cycling however you chose to cycle it. Keep away from a lot of chemicals to solve problems, they usually just mask the real issue. Get some bio diversity in the tank. I just started experimenting with PNS pro bio and yellow snow to increase bacteria diversity. I would also consider adding pods and phytoplankton. Plan out your fish and inverts so that they actually serve a purpose other than being pretty. A wrasse is useful for eating pests that harm SPS.

Following your plan will save you money and will help you solve problems. Find people who run their system the way you want to run yours, and listen to them. If you listen to someone who runs a Zevote system vs me, you will get different answers, both which may be correct, just not for the type of tank you are running.

Hope this helps. Just try to take things slowly, and don’t buy every latest and greatest idea.

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could ask your LFS, but they probably wouldn’t want to put anything into their slump that they weren’t going to keep there.

Now, regarding your current build. I am going to try to save you some money and frustration. There are a few thing that your tank needs to survive. Good lighting, rock for bacteria, and good flow are musts. Anything else depends on how you want to run your tank and what you want to keep in there. IMO, simple is better, but just like everyone else, it is just an opinion. You need to decide what type of system you want to run and then make a plan and stick with it. If you constantly change things and buy new items based on an article or opinion you have read, you are going to be chasing problems and spending a lot of money for nothing.

So, this is my advice. Get your rock and sand if you want sand. Rinse that sand very well, you won’t rinse off any bacteria that’s there, so don’t worry about that. Clean sand to start will pay off later. Get water in your tank and start cycling however you chose to cycle it. Keep away from a lot of chemicals to solve problems, they usually just mask the real issue. Get some bio diversity in the tank. I just started experimenting with PNS pro bio and yellow snow to increase bacteria diversity. I would also consider adding pods and phytoplankton. Plan out your fish and inverts so that they actually serve a purpose other than being pretty. A wrasse is useful for eating pests that harm SPS.

Following your plan will save you money and will help you solve problems. Find people who run their system the way you want to run yours, and listen to them. If you listen to someone who runs a Zevote system vs me, you will get different answers, both which may be correct, just not for the type of tank you are running.

Hope this helps. Just try to take things slowly, and don’t buy every latest and greatest idea.
Thank you for the suggestions!! For lighting I have a AI Prime now, but I won a Radion XR15 Blue recently that I will add to the 75g. After a couple of months (probably before adding corals) I want to buy a 2nd Radion XR-15 (both for estetics and power). For flow a hqve an AquaMedic adjustable wavemaker and a Marineland 900 Powerhead that is not adjustable (planning to use a timer until I have more funds for a better pump). As for Rocks I plan to buy a brightwell block with the dimples for the sump and about 40-50 pounds of live rock. I like sand on my tank and was planning on using carib sea aragonite and maybe mix with some Florida crushed coral (to help with the lighter aragonite blowing around because of high flow). My plan is to have a mixed reef in this tank (yes, I seem to always choose the moat difficult path) I guess I like a challenge! SPS at the top, LPS in the middle and Softies in the lower regions and in lower flow areas. I welcome any feedback!

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestions!! For lighting I have a AI Prime now, but I won a Radion XR15 Blue recently that I will add to the 75g. After a couple of months (probably before adding corals) I want to buy a 2nd Radion XR-15 (both for estetics and power). For flow a hqve an AquaMedic adjustable wavemaker and a Marineland 900 Powerhead that is not adjustable (planning to use a timer until I have more funds for a better pump). As for Rocks I plan to buy a brightwell block with the dimples for the sump and about 40-50 pounds of live rock. I like sand on my tank and was planning on using carib sea aragonite and maybe mix with some Florida crushed coral (to help with the lighter aragonite blowing around because of high flow). My plan is to have a mixed reef in this tank (yes, I seem to always choose the moat difficult path) I guess I like a challenge! SPS at the top, LPS in the middle and Softies in the lower regions and in lower flow areas. I welcome any feedback!
I would ditch the Brightwell block and see if you can get a piece of real live rock to put in the sump. There are some instances of blocks like these, not sure about Brightwell, leaching aluminum into the tank. If you can't get LR for the sump, the 40-50 pounds of rock in your tank will be enough.

Be sure to rinse that sand well until the water runs clean. You will thank me later.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back