Acropora polyps bubbling???

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I noticed I was seeing some STN on two of my acropora pieces a few days back. I checked all of my parameters and my calcium was low at 360 and my mag was a bit high at 1480. I figured this was most likely the cause so worked to get them inline. Since then, things have been going downhill. I noticed a few pieces have the polyps are physically bubbling. I have read about the tissue bubbling before but not the polyps themselves. I am currently running gen4 radions non pro. They are turned up to about 70% and have been on the tank for 3 months. I'm not sure if this may be the cause but has anyone ever seen this? I am thinking I need to have an ICP test ran for further information. My other acros are also showing signs of stress and I fear I may lose them all. I have been doing 20% water changes every few days to see if I can pull out any unwanted level of whatever may be causing this. I also am trying to avoid doing too many things at once as this can cause its own issue. But any insight would be very helpful! The last thing I will mention is the polyps on a lot of my other acros are turning green from the base up. Not sure if that could be something as well.

Salinity-1.026
Alk-8.2
Cal-now at 380
Mag-now at 1400
ph-8.2
Nitrates-15ppm
PO4-.076

20190320_134812.jpg
20190320_140041.jpg
20190320_140041.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this is happening to you. Has there been any kind of chemical use near or around the tank? (air freshners, carpet cleaners, aerosol sprays ect...) #reefsquad #spsexperts

OP
OP
Micksfish

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this is happening to you. Has there been any kind of chemical use near or around the tank? (air freshners, carpet cleaners, aerosol sprays ect...) #reefsquad #spsexperts

Not that i know of. I always make sure to tell my wife to avoid all of those around the tank :).

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've honestly never seen this before, so can't help. Interested to see if anyone else has any ideas. Sorry but good luck!

I wonder if any of the coral farmers, like @Battlecorals has seen anything like this before... Just a thought...

OP
OP
Micksfish

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send a sample for ICP testing
Yup, what I am doing today. Just was hoping someone might have something quicker as those tests always take a bit to do.
I've honestly never seen this before, so can't help. Interested to see if anyone else has any ideas. Sorry but good luck!

I wonder if any of the coral farmers, like @Battlecorals has seen anything like this before... Just a thought...
Good call, also wonder if @worldwidecorals has maybe seen it before too? I dont know, its definitely odd.

I thought it was possibly light related, but I ramped up the lights fairly slowly.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also never seen it before. How are you dosing and what are you dosing? Is the imbalance due to a doser error?

It appears gas is trapped between the skin and the skeleton, I can't imagine what would cause this other than a contaminant or radical overdosing of something.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea either, sorry. :( (My first thought was, 'Bounce acroporas, never seen that before'.)

OP
OP
Micksfish

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also never seen it before. How are you dosing and what are you dosing? Is the imbalance due to a doser error?

It appears gas is trapped between the skin and the skeleton, I can't imagine what would cause this other than a contaminant or radical overdosing of something.
dosing two part, yes, my calcium wasn't dosing what it said. So it was low. also dosing aminos and small amount of nopox. thats it. Using a doser to deliver these.

How is everything else in the tank? Fish LPS soft I corals are it they all doing OK
everything else seems great. All my zoas are open, torches and hammers are happy. fish all are doing well. Have a lennardi wrasse juvie that is a monster in the tank. Eating like crazy and growing super fast. Just the acros so far.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I thought you were exaggerating. I’ve never seen nor experienced this ever, myself. Crazy.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this before. From what I remember most believe it to be a bacterial infection. There are also a few who think it is caused from carbon dosing. The best thing I can tell you is to leave it alone, and keep things stable. Make sure your chemistry is in order, and hopefully it will heal up.
I had it happen to a cali tort and an unnamed piece, it eventually went away on the tort. I think I killed the other acro by messing with them, and popping the blister.
Here's a thread showing many examples of it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2481844

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is a bacterial issue. You can just frag them off or leave it. I have not really ever seen it spread.

OP
OP
Micksfish

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this before. From what I remember most believe it to be a bacterial infection. There are also a few who think it is caused from carbon dosing. The best thing I can tell you is to leave it alone, and keep things stable. Make sure your chemistry is in order, and hopefully it will heal up.
I had it happen to a cali tort and an unnamed piece, it eventually went away on the tort. I think I killed the other acro by messing with them, and popping the blister.
Here's a thread showing many examples of it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2481844

That looks like the tissue bubbling though, doesnt it? mine is strictly the polyps bubbling. It could definitely be the same thing though. im not carbon dosing. But will have to keep a close eye on my parameters for sure.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK, it's a little hard to tell from the first pic, but I see what you're talking about in the second one. From what I remember, I thought it looked like there was water under the flesh, between the flesh and the skeleton. I picked and poked at one after a few weeks of looking at, don't do that!;) It didn't help!
As I think about it now, I would liken it to a SSTN - "super slow tissue recession" (I just coined that by the way).
There is an issue - could be bacterial - and the coral is trying to decide whether it's going to live or die.
It can heal from this, as long as you provide it the same things as you would any other damaged SPS. Stability, light, flow, nutrition, and hands off. Good luck, keep us posted I always like to see how these things turn out.

Nilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had something similar happen to my JF Burning Banana. It bubbled up in a couple of places then those areas deflated after a days. Not sure what caused it as all my other corals were fine. I’m suspecting one of my angels nipped it and it was some kind of swelling or inflammation if that makes sense

OP
OP
Micksfish

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK, it's a little hard to tell from the first pic, but I see what you're talking about in the second one. From what I remember, I thought it looked like there was water under the flesh, between the flesh and the skeleton. I picked and poked at one after a few weeks of looking at, don't do that!;) It didn't help!
As I think about it now, I would liken it to a SSTN - "super slow tissue recession" (I just coined that by the way).
There is an issue - could be bacterial - and the coral is trying to decide whether it's going to live or die.
It can heal from this, as long as you provide it the same things as you would any other damaged SPS. Stability, light, flow, nutrition, and hands off. Good luck, keep us posted I always like to see how these things turn out.

From what I can see, it is just the polyps bubbling. It may be caused by the same thing, but I'm not seeing the bubbling on the tissues at all. So not sure.

Reef Pro

Reef Pro Complete --> Reefprostore.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen this happen before.... following

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 47 73.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back