Acropora tortuosa ID

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, picked up this tort recently and was wondering if anybody knew which variant of A. tortuosa it is? Miyagi, cali, etc? Curious what I should expect for color, growth, and all that. Thanks!
20191119_203822.jpg
20191119_203807.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like A. Austera, but everybody calls those "torts" as a common name. The Miyagi, Becket, etc. are all A. Austera.

If it did not come with a name or lineage, then it does not have one, so feel free to name it yourself, or call it a "lookalike."

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like A. Austera, but everybody calls those "torts" as a common name. The Miyagi, Becket, etc. are all A. Austera.

If it did not come with a name or lineage, then it does not have one, so feel free to name it yourself, or call it a "lookalike."
Interesting, I didnt know that! Shop owner called it a cali tort, I was just curious because it didnt look like the pictures of cali torts that I've seen. Not too concerned about the actual lineage, I think this one will be called purple and green tort from now on haha

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torts are either torts or austera... stupid, I know, but been like that for 20+ years.

Cali tort used to be A. Tortuosa, but then some A. Austera got in there. ORA has their own variety of Cali tort and people swear that they have seen two different kinds over the years.

True Cali Tort should be all-blue, but can get some green in the middle under lower level lighting. Under lower level lighting, the blue gets a purpleish hint to it as well.

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torts are either torts or austera... stupid, I know, but been like that for 20+ years.

Cali tort used to be A. Tortuosa, but then some A. Austera got in there. ORA has their own variety of Cali tort and people swear that they have seen two different kinds over the years.

True Cali Tort should be all-blue, but can get some green in the middle under lower level lighting. Under lower level lighting, the blue gets a purpleish hint to it as well.
Interesting, I definitely believe I have A. Austera then, as my frag has fused branches, and from what I've read this is a characteristic of Austera and not Tortuosa. Who knew. Looks like I have another ORA coral to add to my list then haha, your cali tort looks awesome

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cannot confirm that it was from ORA, then please do not call it a ORA Cali Tort... just call it a Cali Tort or a Cali(ish) Tort. I hate to be a pain about all of this, but this is why people hate named corals when lineage in uncertain.
When I said add another ORA coral to my list, I meant it as, add to my "wish list" :). That and a hundred other acros haha. I understand I have some known or unknown variant of Austera, that's good enough for my purposes!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back