Acropora white bugs

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these on a few of my colonies that have pailed out and lost PE. I have Dr Gs arriving today. I am worried about extreme microfauna die-off since my tank is long established going on 5 years. Can you guys share your experience with parameter changes after dosing interceptor or Dr Gs? (Same drug). Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these on a few of my colonies that have pailed out and lost PE. I have Dr Gs arriving today. I am worried about extreme microfauna die-off since my tank is long established going on 5 years. Can you guys share your experience with parameter changes after dosing interceptor or Dr Gs? (Same drug). Thanks in advance.
I didn't have any issues with parameter changes. No snail losses, but I believe it can possibly kill inverts such as crabs/shrimp. It killed all of my beneficial pods and nuisance rust colored flatworms as well. Maybe look up red bugs and interceptor treatments, and see what other people have said before you put it in your tank. It's always a risk, especially with a long established tank.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have any issues with parameter changes. No snail losses, but I believe it can possibly kill inverts such as crabs/shrimp. It killed all of my beneficial pods and nuisance rust colored flatworms as well. Maybe look up red bugs and interceptor treatments, and see what other people have said before you put it in your tank. It's always a risk, especially with a long established tank.
Thanks for the response. I figure if I monitor things closely in the days following and am on standby ready to change water there shouldn't be too much of an issue. I expect to lose the pods. I dont have any inverts outside of 2 hermits that are more of a nuisance than anything so I guess it is a good time to treat the tank. I will remove hermits.

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I figure if I monitor things closely in the days following and am on standby ready to change water there shouldn't be too much of an issue. I expect to lose the pods. I dont have any inverts outside of 2 hermits that are more of a nuisance than anything so I guess it is a good time to treat the tank. I will remove hermits.
Sounds like a plan, good luck!

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped and brushed and dipped and brushed. It’s never ending and once discouragement sets in, they’re done for. I should have QT the montipora, but trusted that people here wouldn’t sell corals with pests like that.
anything for a quick buck

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of some white bugs on one of my acros that spread through the tank. Severely affected PE and I could swear I could see bite marks on the tissues. Treated the tank with Dr G's at 2 ml per gallon and all seems well now. Here's a video of the little buggers.
what was the protocol , after dosing 2 ml , water change after certain hours etc ?

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was the protocol , after dosing 2 ml , water change after certain hours etc ?
It's been a while, but I want to say I left it in for 24 hours, then did a large water change and added some carbon. I remember reading some other threads about Dr. G's, and they recommended 1 ml per gallon. I initially added that, but the bugs seemed unphased, so I doubled it. They seemed to slow down after that, and the next day were gone. Again, I'd recommend looking up red bug treatment/procedures/warnings as the treatment is the same.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What killed the red flatworms interceptor or the dr g dip? Interceptor shouldn’t kill any flatworms. It does kill some pods but I have never seen it kill all of them. Ime I have seen huge pod explosions a few weeks after the treatment. Didn’t have to add any back to the tank. I have had shrimp live also but that’s 50/50.

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What killed the red flatworms interceptor or the dr g dip? Interceptor shouldn’t kill any flatworms. It does kill some pods but I have never seen it kill all of them. Ime I have seen huge pod explosions a few weeks after the treatment. Didn’t have to add any back to the tank. I have had shrimp live also but that’s 50/50.
I don't want to spread misinformation or anything, but the Dr. G's seemed to have killed my flatworms, because I never saw another after the treatment. Could be a coincidence? I didn't see any copepods or amphipods after, but I did see some isopods.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have other things in it that kill them. That’s why I was not going to consider using it in the tank but lots of people seem to have good luck.

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have other things in it that kill them. That’s why I was not going to consider using it in the tank but lots of people seem to have good luck.
This is very true. Funny thing is the old label used to specify the active ingredient in interceptor, but the new label does not specify it, and instead says proprietary coral dip.

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very true. Funny thing is the old label used to specify the active ingredient in interceptor, but the new label does not specify it, and instead says proprietary coral dip.
any update did they ever come back or where they gone forever with 1 treatment of 2ml per gallon?

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh awesome. thanks so much!! i will order enough for 2ml per gallon and report back with results
I would say start with a small dosage and see how the tank reacts, then increase from there. Have some fresh saltwater just in case something looks off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back