Acrylic Fabrication Q & A

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump size 30"*15"*15" LxDxH, 3/8 for the verticals and 1/4 th for top and bottom. can i get away with it?

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pepcrylic
how does this look?
Sump in the first chamber, refug middle, then return.

left view.JPG

30 in ref sump.JPG

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good by me. I myself am not a fan of the divided sumps. I run an open sump , no baffels. My skimmer is external, my return is external. I dont have to worry about water height. Also gives me lots of room for water wash back when the power goes out. I have much more room for macro's. And th water volume of the sump is increased.
Not saying your design is wrong, I just use a differenr approach.

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do ya polish edges after the tank is done?
What type of buffing tool or pads ya'll use after sanding?
What sanding procedure ya'll do? uptill what grit and what tool you use?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet/dry sanding in stages followed by polishing compounds...I'm sure it's been outlined in the thread somewhere but I only found random mentions of it (try searching the thread for a few keywords, you'll find more posts)

But basically for router-rounded edges or router-finished edges I start with something low grit like 600 or even 400, then you progress through each stage until you remove the previous pattern, rinsing a lot (water in spray bottle, cleaning off sandpaper and surface frequently). I go 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, etc and then I switch to an 3000 grit sponge sandpaper that I get from my local O'Reilly's and make a pass with that.

For the polish, if it's a big job, I go with a rotary auto polisher on low speed (most polishers go up to speed 6, I go to 2 maybe 3 max) with this pad
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professi...otary-foam-cutting-pad-7/#WHsrwfOYCbO4k2Uz.97
Pretty sure it's that one, it's purple that's all I remember
and this polish (Meguiar's Ultra Cut 105)
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professi...ultra-cut-compound-32-oz/#fGX4JxgXQ3KCIbRf.97
Then use a different pad (same type, just one that I did not use with the 105) and the swirl free polish (Meguiar's Mirror Glaze) on a bit higher speed on the polisher (maybe 2-3 to start then slowly work up to 4 and a very short time on 5 while keeping the head moving)
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m8232-swirl-free-polish-32oz/#Vz2X2R3EkvSXKL66.97

Then rinse off with bleach to dissolve all the compound. Not vinegar - you need bleach.

BTW if you want your car to frickin shine, that Mirror Glaze is the bomb

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a combination of both. If I am hand sanding a rounded edge, I would probably fold that sandpaper in half and then again, so it is only 1/4 its original length. It fits your hand well at that size. Like Bud mentioned, get a spray bottle with water to keep the surface wet. I also get a bowl of water to dip the sand paper in. It seems quicker to me, because I can just dip it, to clean it off with one hand.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. That was actually my first project. I used a buddies CNC laser to cut out the first one, and I had enough acrylic to make 2 more. I made those to sell and recoup some of my money. They sold really fast, so I just kept making them. Eventually I got my own cutter and started sponsoring on here to sell them. I am just now getting to the point where I am getting ready to list new products, revamp the website, and make some videos showing some of the features on them. Funny part is, the original overflow is sitting on a 120 in my garage that I never even set up....LOL My brother-in-law has a 65 gallon rimless with some huge loaches, so I think I am about to turn it into a freshwater for those poor fish to stretch out.

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TaylorPilot
The other tread, you sanded the face of an endpanel of your overflowbox, is that the way to do with bigger tanks?
or you can just sand the area near to the seams? Who is the CFI guy, is he still active here?

Last edited:

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you only want to sand the edges. Typically you mask them off and sand only the parts that are machined and routed edges. You can use the same method for removing scratches from the panels. Honestly, clear is allot easier to work with than black. Black is like a car. Any little swirl mark or dirt shows up. If I were to do that to every box, I'd want triple. LOL

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back