Acrylic Fabrication Q & A

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd R Turbo have you ever tried this on acrylic?
general-tools-specialty-drill-bits-55-64_1000.jpg

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread but I have a couple of questions I am getting ready to make baffles for my new sump I have a 40 Breeder and I’m using red acrylic for the baffles most of my cuts I’m going to make with a score knife and a jigsaw because that is what I have on hand but I was wondering what do I need to do for edge prep before I glue on the acrylic to acrylic seams. I was also wondering what kind of hole saw can use to cut the holes for 2 4” filter socks.
Is this in a glass 40 Breeder?
@Floyd R Turbo have you ever tried this on acrylic?
general-tools-specialty-drill-bits-55-64_1000.jpg
I don't even know what that is

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic doesn't bond to glass so joint prep is really not relevant. You can't take a piece of acrylic and bond it in along the vertical joints as a baffle, the silicone would stick to the glass but would not stick to the silicone - it would appear to initially but it's not a strong bond.

You can silicone in an acrylic baffle into a glass sump if is it only separating chambers and there is no water level difference on either side, and if there's not a ton of flow that would create more pressure on one side of the baffle.

If that's not the case, you have to do in this instance is something different - take strips of acrylic (or better, glass) that are about 3/8" or 1/2" thick and 1" wide and bond them to the glass on the down-flow side of where the baffle would be. One on each side and one on the bottom of the 40B. You will have to leave the corners alone because of the silicone bead in the inside but we'll get to that.

Let the cure for a day or two.

Now cut your acrylic baffle so that it's about 1/8" smaller than the inner dim of the 40B. This allows for the acrylic to swell a bit, which it will. If you make it a tight fit, it can crack the glass when it expands (acrylic absorbs water, after about 16 weeks in water it stops expanding).

Also round the bottom edges so that the acrylic doesn't need to poke into the silicone bead along the bottom

Run a bead of silicone along the "joint" where the baffle will be pressed up against and place the baffle there. Then run a bead of silicone on the glass/acrylic joint, then make sure you fill in that spot around the bottom silicone bead joint of the 40B on both sides. Use a bar clamp in reverse (push) configuration to put a very very very slight pressure on the baffle, just enough to keep it in place (can use tape also)

Let cure for a couple days before water testing. Let cure 2 weeks before exposing to a live reef (or anything really). That last part is something you won't commonly hear but silicone has a 2 weeks full cure time.

For the silicone, use Momentive RTV 100 series. There's other stuff that is safe too and there's a billion opinions but Momentive is what the pros use and it's available everywhere. Most people who have issues don't follow the 2 week rule and then everyone tells them they used the wrong silicone.

m0nk3y69d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There won’t be any water level differences and I also have some acrylic to acrylic seems that I’m using weld on 4 to connect how would I prep the edges for that and what kind of hole say can I use for drilling a hole for a 4 in filter sock

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There won’t be any water level differences and I also have some acrylic to acrylic seems that I’m using weld on 4 to connect how would I prep the edges for that and what kind of hole say can I use for drilling a hole for a 4 in filter sock
If your joint have to hold water, it'll be tricky without using a router or jointer or something like that. Score & snap would probably work better than a jigsaw, but both have their negatives. You need an acrylic-specific jigsaw blade or else it's going to create a mess (or rather, more of a mess) and the edge won't be as straight as score/snap. But both take practice.

Table saw would be OK, you still want an acrylic blade but you can get straight cuts that are weldable with only a few passes with a razor blade if you do it right (again, not ideal for a seam that has to hold water but better than score/snap or jigsaw)

for cutting holes for a filter sock, use that tools that @siggy just posted I guess lol! I use a template and router but I have a router and a template. You can use a jigsaw and smooth out the hole with a razor blade

m0nk3y69d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a jigsaw blade that is made for acrylic and I can get a router with bits from a friend he has 1/4 and 1/2 strait bits for it but I would have to freehand it there is no router table or anything like that would that work better then snap cut and the jigsaw

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for cutting holes for a filter sock, use that tools that @siggy just posted I guess lol! I use a template and router but I have a router and a template. You can use a jigsaw and smooth out the hole with a razor blade
Slow Down with that, I have not tried using that on acrylic and was asking if you or others have. I have used hole saws, but the larger sizes might spell trouble will acrylic. The cutting bit shown looks too crude and would need to be touched up. I have boxes of various acrylic tubing and would like to make plugs and caps.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freehand + router = disaster.

Don't even think about it. That's mad expert level, the only person I know who has talked about freehand routing acrylic is @acrylics and he's been building tanks for 30 years I think. One slip and you've got hot shavings flying everywhere and/or a snapped router bit shooting off like a bullet. I had a buddy snap a router bit once and he has yet to find it.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning a DIY project for my local club. I’d like to make really simple top down viewers so people can learn to weld acrylic. Finding the rounds for the bottom is easy but I’m having no luck with tubing. I’m looking for 6” od in 4” lengths. The best I have found is like $20 a foot. Is there a better source?
I think my question got lost :)

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking the other day about looking into what it takes to fabricate with acrylic... This looks ... fun ...

Now I just need to get space where I can actually try/learn this.

Thank you for everything in this!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my question got lost :)
6" is costly and Ebay is where i find cutoffs cheap. Maybe make a rectangular or square, can i ask where you found the rounds?

m0nk3y69d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting a router table what should boys schould I look for just starting out that are decently priced

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting a router table what should boys schould I look for just starting out that are decently priced
When you are making the front and back pieces and or sides of a tank you will need to pass the material between the fence and the router bit. The reason you do this is so all pieces will be the same height or length. This is a common "no no" safety wise, but it is the way it is done. I have a small metal router table with a home made table bolted to it. Allows me to place a fence up to 24" away from the bit.

m0nk3y69d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are making the front and back pieces and or sides of a tank you will need to pass the material between the fence and the router bit. The reason you do this is so all pieces will be the same height or length. This is a common "no no" safety wise, but it is the way it is done. I have a small metal router table with a home made table bolted to it. Allows me to place a fence up to 24" away from the bit.

That’s what I was thinking of doing what about bites what should I look for that are decently priced

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back