Acrylic owners…help needed

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It looks like one of my acrylic tanks is failing at the seems. All 4 corners just above the water line. And a crack even at the top just off the seam. All 3 that size i have are bowing. But this one is the worst. The tank is an advanced acrylic 6x2x1 3/4 inch thick rimless. This one was setup first. Maybe 3 years old. How long do I have until total failure? Or a leak? I’m new to acrylic tanks. But I expected to get a lot of years out of these. Is this just poor workmanship? I’m going to contact them. I’ve bought 6 big tanks from them. I’m hoping they take care of me. But if this is the norm I don’t want another one. I’ll go glass. Thanks for any insight.

546998D9-7F8D-4959-9BBC-87A78FB7704B.jpeg B9003787-938F-436A-AE8A-EE47E7725188.jpeg 51726765-CAA5-4C67-A061-4C223D354424.jpeg 2AE09284-EFC1-42E8-B23D-102DC0801477.jpeg 6D4CF621-7C10-4331-A41A-FAD9867E930B.jpeg 055F84EF-7D66-49E5-9DD6-FA0723FF3B31.jpeg 77E938DD-6B54-41F7-9D1E-D6BD172EBFDF.jpeg B96B45F8-AD78-4362-A9B9-75637992146D.jpeg 3C3CBC3F-EC57-493D-ADFF-E1CC1D20FA40.jpeg 06A8019F-B622-4674-A2C8-DFC15706B264.jpeg BB07B8E2-669F-4113-9877-72FB943330DE.jpeg 1CED79A6-EC93-4067-8BF4-9B9089C88488.jpeg

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been a bad build. I would think with a 6' panel they would have done some sort of top panel to hold it all together. If they won't fix it, you might be able to find a local fabricator that could repair and maybe make a top panel for it.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could have been a bad build. I would think with a 6' panel they would have done some sort of top panel to hold it all together. If they won't fix it, you might be able to find a local fabricator that could repair and maybe make a top panel for it.
I just looked at my build thread to see when I set it up. May 15 2020. They still sell them the same way. This has to be a bad build.

6EA5AD84-BC5C-4A04-A296-D79E2790D37D.png

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tenecor Aquariums

You have any advice or opinions here?
Start draining it. Just a matter of time before that seam will split. The panels appear to be improperly bonded. If they were chemically welded together in a proper bond, this conversation would not be taking place. This also talks to the many times I have posted about how difficult it is to properly bond thick gauge panels. Countless times I have been called out about thicker gauge panels are better etc, etc usually by someone who has never built a tank. Here is the perfect example of the main difficulty in bonding these thick panels. It is not easy and almost always a poor decision. Thicker is not always better and often much worse. For reference, we would have built this tank 1/2 inch panels (even 3/8) and a perimeter top. For a FRACTION of the cost and a lifetime warranty. Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try to repair it. Cut your losses and move on. Whoever built this does not know what they are doing. How bad is this build? After you drain the tank, put on some safety glasses and a pair of work gloves. Grab the two bonded panels and try to pull them apart. Watch how the entire seam will literally tear down the entire length. Be careful, you can really hurt yourself doing this. If the tank was properly built this would be impossible.

Last edited:

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try to repair it. Cut your losses and move on. Whoever built this does not know what they are doing.
For what it's worth, we would have built this for around $1,300 to 15,000 plus shipping. the low price would be 3/8 the higher price, 1/2 inch.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don't try to repair it. Cut your losses and move on. Whoever built this does not know what they are doing. How bad is this build? After you drain the tank, put on some safety glasses and a pair of work gloves. Grab the two bonded panels and try to pull them apart. Watch how the entire seam will literally tear down the entire length. Be careful, you can really hurt yourself doing this. If the tank was properly built this would be impossible.
Start draining it. Just a matter of time before that seam will split. The panels appear to be improperly bonded. If they were chemically welded together in a proper bond, this conversation would not be taking place. This also talks to the many times I have posted about how difficult it is to properly bond thick gauge panels. Countless times I have been called out about thicker gauge panels are better etc, etc usually by someone who has never built a tank. Here is the perfect example of the main difficulty in bonding these thick panels. It is not easy and almost always a poor decision. Thicker is not always better and often much worse. For reference, we would have built this tank 1/2 inch panels (even 3/8) and a perimeter top. For a FRACTION of the cost and a lifetime warranty. Sorry to hear this has happened to you.
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for the advice. It’s definitely a total loss. No way it could be repaired. The panels are so warped.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For what it's worth, we would have built this for around $1,300 to 15,000 plus shipping. the low price would be 3/8 the higher price, 1/2 inch.
I paid around $1800 shipped with frag racks. But it means nothing if it doesn’t last. I’m not sure if I’m going to go acrylic again. But if I do I’ll message you.
Thank you

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for the advice. It’s definitely a total loss. No way it could be repaired. The panels are so warped.
I don't usually call out anyone but other R2R posters have contacted us regarding failed seams from this company.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid around $1800 shipped with frag racks. But it means nothing if it doesn’t last. I’m not sure if I’m going to go acrylic again. But if I do I’ll message you.
Thank you
No worries. Do what you think is best for you.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't usually call out anyone but other R2R posters have contacted us regarding failed seams from this company.
Same here but It’s important that others know. And knowing that tells me I better plan to replace the other tanks also.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here but It’s important that others know. And knowing that tells me I better plan to replace the other tanks also.
If someone was putting us in the barrel like this, we certainly would respond, at least explain what is going on or own up to it and do the right thing. If you decide to go with another acrylic and not ours, please let me give you some backgrounders as who really is who in this business. There is let's say, common ownership with some independent looking outfits. There's more to this which I will not share at this time.

Last edited:

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think you are being honest and people should appreciate
I never knew this , I always thought thicker would be better. Do you think they didn't chemically bond the panels and maybe used a two part on them , because they hand polished the seams ? I looked and they seem to push museum quality seams which I personally am not a fan of but a lot of people love

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think you are being honest and people should appreciate

I never knew this , I always thought thicker would be better. Do you think they didn't chemically bond the panels and maybe used a two part on them , because they hand polished the seams ? I looked and they seem to push museum quality seams which I personally am not a fan of but a lot of people love
Tenecor was the first company to commercialize hobbyist acrylic aquariums and many of the accepted standards today are based on our work. This tank was not bonded with two part. The reason these seams are splitting is because they were never properly bonded. Properly bonding acrylic this thick is difficult for a few reasons. The bonding surfaces need to be flat, square and true. Properly solvent bonding them is difficult because of the large surface area and the fact that the surfaces are not as flat as they should be. Solvent bonding also requires the surfaces to soften before they are joined. Usually, the preferred method is applying solvent by capillary action by pinning them which itself causes problems when trying to remove the pins since the weight of the panels often bury the pins as the acrylic softens. Also, thicker acrylic panels may look flat, but they can vary by several millimeters and still be in spec. Thinner acrylic panels also are wavy but not as much as the thicker panels. I can count on one hand the number of times we've built tanks with acrylic thicker than one inch, and never with solvent bonding. Never. Each of those thick builds was tall, over 60 inches. A real pain to get right. For 90% of hobby tanks, the max thickness required is 1/2 inch with the occasional 3/4-inch upgraded top. Tank height is what determines the acrylic thickness in most cases. Trying to build something like this without a top is asking for trouble. You can get away with thicker walled tanks at or below 12-16 inches for "touch tanks" and such but again, those also require special bonding techniques. This company also built some store tanks in my hometown and they already are showing signs of failure. Like I mentioned before, there is more to who owns what company and brands. Not everything is what it appears to be. Someone should reply to my comments and call me out but I think I know why they won't. Finally, here is a link to another thread discussing this topic. And I never understood what is "museum quality". Seams are good. Or they are not.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just out of curiosity, did you ever hear from Advanced Acrylic?
I didn’t. Even if they intended to do nothing… a response would have been nice. I sent a email and text the owner. Especially after buying 6 large tanks, sump, ATOs, frag racks and dosing container. My last big purchase with him was a bit of a mess so.

But I have say I ordered a new glass tank from glass cages. They have been a complete joy to work with. I can’t wait to get it. This will be my 2nd tank from them. And the first one was great.

Back