Actinic only Biocube (Experiment)

VanGogh121

Melba Toast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube that has been sitting on the shelf for a while. I set it up last week. I am going to try to make a "florescent tank". It will only contain bright colored low light pieces, Zoa/Paly's, Acans, Chalices, with fluorescent markers and gorgonias for movement.

The lighting will only be (2) 24 actinic PC lights and (5) stick up led for aesthetics. It does receive direct sun for about 2 hours in the morning when it is not cloudy (which is rare in Michigan).

Filtration will be live rock in the compartment, carbon, Nano skimmer and weekly water changes with my main display.

I want to see how these fair under actinic only conditions. I can and will move the animals back to the well lit display is I see any sign of distress.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Pics to come Friday evening.

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't stare at it too long at one time; actinics alone, make me about cross eyed, lol!

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering those corals are photosynthetic. The zooxanthellae algae will have no usable light for proper photosynthesis. It will look cool but the corals can not be healthy or live long term.

In my opinion this experiment is useless. You are trying to test against known facts about coral biology.

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did say the sun hits the tank for two hours a day! I know that isn't long, but it would help!

bluegrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...I have a nano set up dab smack next to a window that gets a lot of light throughout the day. The coral in that nano are wide open during the day as if the lights were on--I don't have the lights on until late at night when I'm home. I'm by no stretch a lighting expert or guru, but I do wonder what the window light means for the coral. Would a par meter be of any use? Sorry didn't mean to highjack your thread. I think everyone at some point says "I wish I could just have actinics on all day!". Good luck.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
natural sunlight is the best. That is what corals get out in the wild. Its the reason for many coral growers (including myself) build green houses. For the corals to be happy you would need quite a bit of window light. Running on just actinics with very little natural or day light is not a good idea.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run 3x24w T5 Geismann pure actinics for the past 2 months on my 20g with no issues. Reason is I was waiting to buy a new fixture for my new tank and didn't want to buy 24w bulbs that wouldn't work for the new setup. I have sps all over the tank and they are all growing very well. I think the experiment will be a success. IMO

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, maybe I'm just a dumb bunny, but doesn't actinic light, reach deeper into the water? Just a question! Don't roast me! :)

OP
OP
VanGogh121

VanGogh121

Melba Toast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research. I Talked to a guy that has a tank with florescent only corals in his tank, He runs 10k in the middle of the night for 3 hours, goes with no light for 4.5, runs actinic only for 12, no lights for 4.5. I may try the same thing.

Corals have been in the tank for a 4 days with no ill effects yet. I will post if I see any distress.

I am hesitant to put any expensive corals in yet, Just some rics, GSP and some palys and clove polyps.
Only the GSP and clove polyps fluoresce right now, I will move some People eaters and acans over shortly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back