Added a purple tang

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was lucky enough to be given a yellow tang by a fellow reefer who is shutting down he's tank. I figured I would share what I did to acclimate him or her into my tank. First thing I did was go down to Walmart and grab a small plastic Critter cage for 7 bucks brought it home used to soldering iron to melt holes on the sides and the bottom to facilitate water movement through the cage. I also added a larger hole on the top of the cage so that I could place a turkey baster tip in to shoot food into the cage. The purple tang went in this inset front and center for about 4 days. My larger yellow tang showef some interest but nothing major.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been lulled into a false sense of peace and tranquility I released the purple tang into my tank. The yellows attitude change from mild interest to get the heck out of my tank. Fortunately I have a 120G with a good amount of rock for hiding places. The next two or three days yellow spent chasing the purple back into the rocks but never really got to the point where it was trying to slash the other fish. With each passing day the yellow's charges became fewer and less aggresive. Now about 10 days into this they are both fairly tolerant of each other with few chases. The one thing I would do differently would be to leave it in the acclimation box a little longer

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's often what happens with acclimation boxes. Residents ignore newcomer while in the box; beat the hell out of it upon release. I've had a yellow and purple together for about four years now, and they tolerate each other at best. I still see chunks of fin missing pretty regularly.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was interesting to watch . My yellow is not aggressive by nature and the purple while smaller acted more like a relentless pestering child until hewore down the yellow tangs will to chase. On a side note I recall that you got yourself a nice new tank how's that working out?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note I recall that you got yourself a nice new tank how's that working out?

Almost 4 months now. Mostly good, lost a few fish in the swap and had a bit of STN but c'est la vie. Thanks for asking. Planning to attend FFM to replenish LOL

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 month update. As it grows the purple is becoming a complete jerk to the yellow. I'l be trapping it soon and sending it on its way to a new 1 tang home.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It' about 5" I'm going to use a mirror for awhile and see if it' enough of a distraction its Kurt not Craig not a problem in all honesty I was pretty sure you were John but not 100% positive I'm still going to go with it

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update on my tangs in a 120. It's been interesting to watch these two Tangs over the year. For the vast majority of it the yellow has relegated itself to the right side, back corner of the tank. For some reason, unexplainable to me, it decided to change things up and venture out into the front of the tank again. So for the past three months the yellow has established its new stomping grounds as the upper right half of the tank while the purple still manages 90% of the tank leaving that back right corner to be yellow tang's sole discretion for the most part. The purple seems to tolerate the yellow in the front of the tank but still chases it when the mood strikes. It's always interesting

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new normal for the tangs is mostly peaceful coexistance, for them. Both tangs are out patrolling the whole tank with a brief skirmish now and then. Unfortunately this has caused many of the smaller fish to abandon this area and move into the rocks. Im working on switching to a 180g. Right now im leaning towards breaking up the tangs when I swap tanks.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a tang update. I'm going to a larger tank soon and I came across a great deal on 3 tangs from the same tank a yellow, a sailfin and a blue hippo. Initially I was just going to keep the just the blue hippo but decided, as they were getting along so well, that I'd keep all three. So I just introduced the set of three to the already existing pair in my tank. And nothing it's been all good so far. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Attachments

• 1635426506450944645282661297201.jpg
    1635426506450944645282661297201.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 24

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool beanzzz ! Sometimes they life in harmony. You got that purple tang the same day I picked up his 120 gallon (which I still have unused) and a whole bunch of other supplies.

Tell us about the new tank !

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found an 8' 240g tank. Unfortunately the sellers chipped the tank while prepping the,area for it's removal. I'm still going forward with the tank. My plan is to laminate with silicone a piece of half inch glass along the Inside edge of tank. I'm hoping that will strengthen the chipped area. I'll cover that edge of the tank with trim so you won't see the repair. And then I plan on having my fingers crossed for the next 10 years.

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers and toes! :D What's the worst that can happen?!

As long as you are keeping up on your Homeowners Insurance policy you can sleep better at night!

Taking risks is what keeps life interesting.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the new tank!
I'm waiting for a new house to move into before upgrading to a bigger tank myself. I can't fit any new coral and need to do trimming now. I just have a hard time chopping them up, they are growing so well.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, that's nice. I saw them years ago in a store, cool, but I'm sure a nightmare for flow.

I need to move to downsize my house not to upgrade the tank.
4 bedroom cape for 2 people = to big.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back