Adding 3rd Tang To Tank (Advise Needed)

myreefstory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day everyone, I am new to the forum and would like to ask a quick question and read some advise on adding my third tang into the tank

It's a 120g 5ft tank , I have a small yellow eye kole tang & Purple tang , purple was recently added so purple and kole are still adjusting but for the most part other than a couple cave battles they have been okay.

The third tang is a small WhiteCheek Tang that has finished QT (TTM & Prazi Method) so I'm wondering can I separate my tank with egg crate add the white cheek and let them get used to eachother than maybe a week later lift the crate.

Will this method work ?

Thanks In Advance

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good option. I assume you are talking about Acanthurus nigricans? It’s best to use both scientific and common names to get the best advice. If I were you I would add the white cheek in the morning before the lights come on but while the fish are out and about. Tangs seem to be most chill prior to lights coming on IME. However all fish are different and some are more likely to cause problems than others of the same species. I would also suggest placing a mirror on the side of the tank to give the existing tangs something to draw their attention to other than the new addition. Have the divider on hand and ready but only use it if things get really crazy. Use the mirror and feed heavy in the days leading up to the introduction. Use a nori clip in the morning to get them used to eating their fill before the lights come on. I would shoot for the weekend or whenever you are available to watch things closely. No need to rush the process if the white cheek is doing good in QT.

You do have a few things in your favor, the best being you are not adding another tang of the same species as the already established ones. Plus Acanthurus tend to end up winning out in the hierarchy. Good on you for QT procedures.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I agree with @Xanthurum It's worth trying :) Another option would be to add it at night after the lights have gone out :)
tenor (3).gif
#WelcometoR2R

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine with them all being different body types. Kole tangs are generally not aggressive at all so your only worry would be purple tang. Egg crate would be a great idea for a couple of days. See how they react when they notice each other through the crate. If they’re not all flared up then you should be good to go. As with any new fish battles for space will occur but with yours I️t shouldn’t be a big issue. I️ assume you have caves and enough hiding spots for the first week or so for the tang to hide out in until he gets more acclimated

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 300 I used a divider all the time. It contained larger holes to let the smaller fish swim back and forth but kept the larger at bay until the newer fish could get use to its surroundings and find a home

300 WITH SEPERATOR (2).jpg

OP
OP
myreefstory

myreefstory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank , Plenty of caves

but yes I'm leaning on adding the whitecheek at night with egg crate separating then just release everyone together after a week

tank.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used eggcrate as a divider often with success when adding a new tang to established ones.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back