Adding a new Clownfish to an established tank

KeystoneMalone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, long story short, my nuvo 20 has been up and running since last november, I had 2 clownfish that I bought as juveniles and introduced to the tank at the same time and were doing great. Came home from work the other morning and noticed one went missing and to my dismay I found him dead on the floor. I have a lid on the tank, but there are small gaps around where it meets the tank and he jumped. I cut some acrylic and glued it to the lid to eliminate the gap, so that eliminates that issue.

I know clowns can be territorial, is it worth trying to add another? or would it stress out either fish too much?

Would I be better off with a different species, like a purple firefish or goby to avoid possible aggression?

Any advice would be super helpful-

Thanks,

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine. I've done this a few times. Get a clown of the same family and half the size of the current clown in the tank. There may be some fighting at first but the small guy will submit to the larger one. I just did this with my super aggressive saddleback. A few days later he is sleeping in the BTA, which is huge for her

20200907_074249.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back