Adding a small yellow coris into an established tank?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Black Friday I picked up two of the fish on my wish list. A yellow coris(door buster, so yay!) and a splendid pintail fairy. They're currently in QT with seemingly no effects from copper so far. Both eating well and active.

The tank(Waterbox 130) currently hosts a fully mature melanarus, black fin McCosker, Lubbock's, 2 Ocellaris clowns, yellow-eye kole, Potter's Angel, dog-faced puffer, 3 lyretail anthias, YWG, and a royal gramma.

All the wrasses are fully mature. The yellow coris is only about 1.5 inches long. If I try it, an acclimation box will certainly be used. But, should I try it? I have the option of putting the yellow coris into the 75gal fuge to grow out some. I'll need to add some sand, but that's not really an issue for me.

The tank is currently peaceful, but I worry most about the melanarus and the yellow coris. Everything I've read says they "should" be just fine, and if the yellow coris was 3" I wouldn't give it a second thought past using the acclimation box.

So, opinions?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a silver belly or plain yellow Coris Wrasse?
I would try the acclimation box. If you see one of the fish trying to bully it, I would throw it in the fuge. Have you put pods into the fuge? Nevertheless, there is only one person to go to for advice: @evolved

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a silver belly or plain yellow Coris Wrasse?
I would try the acclimation box. If you see one of the fish trying to bully it, I would throw it in the fuge. Have you put pods into the fuge? Nevertheless, there is only one person to go to for advice: @evolved
Regular. Fuge and tank have been setup for a couple of years and loaded with pods. Food won’t be an issue. I will need to make a lid for my fuge though lol! May just pick up some hardware stir acrylic.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re talking h chrysus right and not the fake yellow coris? If so, they tend to be like other chrysus and are a little rowdy at first but will settle just fine in my experience. There will be an adjustment in the pecking order if you have other burrowing wrasse. I wouldn’t let it stop you from adding it though. I love mine, one of the most active fish I have.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My adult Mel and adult coris don't fight per se', but they do flash, posture on their sides to each other, and flair out their gills from time to time. No nipping, no chasing, just a show of who's the boss.

My coris was the first wrasse in my tank, the Mel was just a wee little one when I added it. As the Mel got bigger and more into his adult body, did he try to assert himself as the boss. Unfortuantly for him, the coris isn't having any of it.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My adult Mel and adult coris don't fight per se', but they do flash, posture on their sides to each other, and flair out their gills from time to time. No nipping, no chasing, just a show of who's the boss.

My coris was the first wrasse in my tank, the Mel was just a wee little one when I added it. As the Mel got bigger and more into his adult body, did he try to assert himself as the boss. Unfortuantly for him, the coris isn't having any of it.
Yeah, if the roles were reversed I wouldn't be concerned. I'll likely try it with the acclimation box and if there's aggressiveness while he's in there for a few days resort to the fuge until he grows out. I'm legitimately worried that he's so small he can fit through the acclimation box vents though lol! If that's the case, fuge it is.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Black Friday I picked up two of the fish on my wish list. A yellow coris(door buster, so yay!) and a splendid pintail fairy. They're currently in QT with seemingly no effects from copper so far. Both eating well and active.

The tank(Waterbox 130) currently hosts a fully mature melanarus, black fin McCosker, Lubbock's, 2 Ocellaris clowns, yellow-eye kole, Potter's Angel, dog-faced puffer, 3 lyretail anthias, YWG, and a royal gramma.

All the wrasses are fully mature. The yellow coris is only about 1.5 inches long. If I try it, an acclimation box will certainly be used. But, should I try it? I have the option of putting the yellow coris into the 75gal fuge to grow out some. I'll need to add some sand, but that's not really an issue for me.

The tank is currently peaceful, but I worry most about the melanarus and the yellow coris. Everything I've read says they "should" be just fine, and if the yellow coris was 3" I wouldn't give it a second thought past using the acclimation box.

So, opinions?

When I introduced a yellow coris in with my melanurus, I was a little concerned too. The melanurus had been in there about 5 months and was 3 times as big. No initial aggression by the Mel. and within 3 days they were paling around the tank. Every once in a while, the Mel. would lunge at the yellow coris if he entered into a certain part of the tank where there is a rock shelf; but it was short-lived aggression and they went on like nothing happened. GL

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I introduced a yellow coris in with my melanurus, I was a little concerned too. The melanurus had been in there about 5 months and was 3 times as big. No initial aggression by the Mel. and within 3 days they were paling around the tank. Every once in a while, the Mel. would lunge at the yellow coris if he entered into a certain part of the tank where there is a rock shelf; but it was short-lived aggression and they went on like nothing happened. GL
Thanks. Unfortunately, my melanarus is probably 20-30 times larger. I can't stress enough how small this guy is. Let me load a pick from the QT. He's in there with the pintail, and the pintail is, by mass, at least 4-5 times larger.
5A8B3722-6EF9-4289-A46E-7D9A05FEDAB5.jpeg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Unfortunately, my melanarus is probably 20-30 times larger. I can't stress enough how small this guy is. Let me load a pick from the QT. He's in there with the pintail, and the pintail is, by mass, at least 4-5 times larger.
5A8B3722-6EF9-4289-A46E-7D9A05FEDAB5.jpeg
Oh dang it’s tiny. I would say definitely keep it in the fuge until it triples in size. It is to my understanding that they are a fast grower so you shouldn’t have to wait too long!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using an acclimation box is always a good idea when introducing new wrasses to established ones. Your H. chrysus is a small female so your mature melanurus may not pay much attention to her. I would be more concerned introducing the pintail to your established Lubbocks.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd venture to guess it'd actually be better to add when it's a tiny female than when it's larger and possibly male

i added a female moyers wrasse to mature male h. biocellatus and h. chrysus and neither seemed to care. i then added a male pencil wrasse and the male biocellatus hates him. the biocellatus has always been a very chill fish so all i can really come up with is the pencil is a male

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using an acclimation box is always a good idea when introducing new wrasses to established ones. Your H. chrysus is a small female so your mature melanurus may not pay much attention to her. I would be more concerned introducing the pintail to your established Lubbocks.
Yeah, once you use an acclimation box it's hard to introduce fish any other way. Just makes way too much sense.

Edited to add, eyeballing it and at least the chrysus is too big to fit through the holes in the acc box lol! I was legitimately concerned. It's still pretty close.

Back