Adding a third Lyretail Anthias?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two female Lyretail's with one of the two doubling in size over the other. Both show strictly female coloration. Would it be safe to add a Male to the group? My concern is the larger of two females potentially transitioning to a male (even though she has kept the same size and appearance for months now?) Currently there is no chasing or fighting at all between the two females.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two female Lyretail's with one of the two doubling in size over the other. Both show strictly female coloration. Would it be safe to add a Male to the group? My concern is the larger of two females potentially transitioning to a male (even though she has kept the same size and appearance for months now?) Currently there is no chasing or fighting at all between the two females.
once they settle in they become relentless on each other which is why you see people recommending large groups of females to a single terminal male. when you keep small groups the dominant fish generally picks away at the weaker ones and when there are only 2 fish to beat on it gets ugly.
i'm sure there are occasions where they don't but this is the usual routine.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once they settle in they become relentless on each other which is why you see people recommending large groups of females to a single terminal male. when you keep small groups the dominant fish generally picks away at the weaker ones and when there are only 2 fish to beat on it gets ugly.
i'm sure there are occasions where they don't but this is the usual routine.
I guess I have gotten lucky with just the two females....no aggression at all going on almost 8 months. So don't risk adding a third, male?

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with 5 females. Eventually, one turned male and 3 females died off. I really wasn’t sure what the cause of death was. After that, I was left with only a male and a female for over a year and I never had any problems other than a little chasing here and there. So I’d say 2 is fine.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lyretails are hard to keep in groups most of the time.
Females turn on each other killing the smallest first and working their way up. They fight to be the next in line to be male. Then there is the issue where the male can be super aggressive and without multiple females to disperse the aggression can kill a single female.

They are hard to keep in multiples. Some people do get away with it especially in larger tanks or tanks with other aggressive fish etc.

Another issue is since they are a aggressive fish adding another to established anthias can be hard.

If one female is larger your female it is most likely turning male. That would be a issue with another male for sure with lyretails.

Want more anthias add another kind. like a single bartletts which is hardy but even worse in groups of its own kind. The nice thing is they also can hold their own against a lyretail most of the time.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Females turn on each other killing the smallest first and working their way up. They fight to be the next in line to be male. Then there is the issue where the male can be super aggressive and without multiple females to disperse the aggression can kill a single female.

They are hard to keep in multiples. Some people do get away with it especially in larger tanks or tanks with other aggressive fish etc.

Another issue is since they are a aggressive fish adding another to established anthias can be hard.

If one female is larger your female it is most likely turning male. That would be a issue with another male for sure with lyretails.

Want more anthias add another kind. like a single bartletts which is hardy but even worse in groups of its own kind. The nice thing is they also can hold their own against a lyretail most of the time.
Yeah, one of the two females definitely did grow much quicker than the other.......her turning into a male was my concern. Looks like I will leave the "pair" as is. I actually did have three females at the beginning but I lost one at the LFS (they were holding them for me while I rebooted my tank). Not sure what happened to her but when I went to pick up the fish, there were only two (they could not explain the disappearance). Have wanted to replace the missing one for a while....looks like I waited too long lol.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This hasn't been my experience at all. I have a male and 2 female lyretails in a 125. The females leave each other alone, and the male only shows aggresssion rarely.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two. One turned male. I would say do not add a male as your larger female may be turning male. It is cool to watch the transformation. You could try adding two or three females.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am restarting my tank, Reefer 350, I have 2 yellow tail damsels, is it safe to add 1 lyretail anthias and 1 mcCosker wrasse? I am concern that the damsels will kill new fish. I can add the damsels last

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am restarting my tank, Reefer 350, I have 2 yellow tail damsels, is it safe to add 1 lyretail anthias and 1 mcCosker wrasse? I am concern that the damsels will kill new fish. I can add the damsels last
No, you should be fine. IME, yellow tails aren't too aggressive.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This hasn't been my experience at all. I have a male and 2 female lyretails in a 125. The females leave each other alone, and the male only shows aggresssion rarely.

I didn't say it doesn't always not work out. But if you research you will find out it happens more times than not.
Plus they may work it out for a while and than one day one is gone. I have kept multiples a few times..

I also have kept chromis in multiples which actually works out less for most people but I have been in a hobby a long time and know how to get balance out of fish most people cant do.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two. One turned male. I would say do not add a male as your larger female may be turning male. It is cool to watch the transformation. You could try adding two or three females.
I actually considered that as well....seems that might be the safer bet. I am guessing it would force the larger female to complete the transition.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back