Adding Achilles

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DD300 , I have removed my large Red Sea sailfin and is in the sump for now , I have a medium purple still in my display with other fish … I’m adding a medium / large Achilles and I have a small / med convict and a small / medium Tomini that I will be getting at the same time as the Achilles … my question is :
Is it better to add all 3 new fish to the display with the purple at the same time or is it better to just add the Achilles and put the other 2 in the sump until the Achilles acclimates ?
obvious reasons I don’t want to lose the Achilles so wasn’t sure what will be best ? I have a lot of rock work
Thanks

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I would add all three at the same time so that none of them have a chance to establish a territory ahead of the others. Likely dominance will be established but less aggressively without established territories. At least this has been my experience.

OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add all at the same time, even the sailfin in your sump. Move some rockwork around and boom all the tangs have to find a brand new territory
Impossible to move rock work , it was custom made and added to over the last 3 years , best i can do is all of them and hope for the best ... on the plus side the Achilles is on the larger side and smaller than the Sailfin , the others are smaller so he should be ok as far as dominance overt the others ?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to move rock work , it was custom made and added to over the last 3 years , best i can do is all of them and hope for the best ... on the plus side the Achilles is on the larger side and smaller than the Sailfin , the others are smaller so he should be ok as far as dominance overt the others ?
He should be but often the smallest tang can be the most dominant.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the Achilles tang is going to end up being the dominant one here, but there are many exceptions as they have already mentioned, for me, the real question is if you are prepared in case something goes wrong, Acanthurus is an aggressive genre, and I recommend you strictly quarantine your Achilles tang, of course, good luck.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, qt with an Acanthurus tang is useless because even with the smallest amount of stress it will pickup a disease. Yes QT may help it a bit but not a whole lot. One tang that I know has a chance of being just as aggressive as an Acanthurus is the sailfin tang. Also be weary when working in a tank and you have a large tang in the tank swim pass, their scalpel can draw blood if it’s big enough. Also, a juvenile 2 inch sailfin can easily shoot up to 8-9 inch, whereas a 3-4 inch achilles will take a while to get big.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back