Adding Carpenter wrasse with other wrasse

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i add a carpenter wrasse if i have other wrasse already?

I have a
Ruby red
Yellow corris
Cleaner
Melaranus

I really loved the carpenters at lfs but dont want to take a chance of killing it or harming my currents

4 foot tank if makes a diff

OP
OP
Falc!

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched but was unable to find much to my specific needs

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no wrasse compatibility expert, but I have had issues in the past adding additional wrasses with an existing Melaranus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i add a carpenter wrasse if i have other wrasse already?

I have a
Ruby red
Yellow corris
Cleaner
Melaranus

I really loved the carpenters at lfs but dont want to take a chance of killing it or harming my currents

4 foot tank if makes a diff
With an established Ruby Red, it’s not likely to allow a Flasher into the tank. You can try it however I recommend using an acclimation box for the Flasher. Melanurus shouldn’t be an issue however I would still remain cautious. They usually dislike additional Halichoeres more than additional Fairies and Flashers.

The Cleaner shouldn’t be an issue though.

OP
OP
Falc!

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an established Ruby Red, it’s not likely to allow a Flasher into the tank. You can try it however I recommend using an acclimation box for the Flasher. Melanurus shouldn’t be an issue however I would still remain cautious. They usually dislike additional Halichoeres more than additional Fairies and Flashers.

The Cleaner shouldn’t be an issue though.
Thank u for ur advice i will try the acclimation box

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the "ruby red" could be an issue, but I'm not sure which fairy wrasse species that is. Common names are regional not universal.

The melanurus could pose a problem initially depending on how long he's been established. I've had some mels ignore new comers and some mels harass new comers. Using an acclimation box for the new guy helps deter initial aggression by letting the established wrasses get to know the new one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the "ruby red" could be an issue, but I'm not sure which fairy wrasse species that is. Common names are regional not universal.

The melanurus could pose a problem initially depending on how long he's been established. I've had some mels ignore new comers and some mels harass new comers. Using an acclimation box for the new guy helps deter initial aggression by letting the established wrasses get to know the new one.
I believe you know these as “Social Fairy Wrasse” Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis. I know them as “Ruby Fin Fairy Wrasse” or “Sea Fighter Dwarf Parrot”

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you know these as “Social Fairy Wrasse” Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis. I know them as “Ruby Fin Fairy Wrasse” or “Sea Fighter Dwarf Parrot”
In my area Cirrhilabrus Rubripinnis is known as a ruby or red fin. You know Rubriventralis under that name and someone else mentioned Rubeus being known under that name lol. Common names make compatibility recommendations tough because if the OP has Rubripinnis I would not recommend a Carpenter be added.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my area Cirrhilabrus Rubripinnis is known as a ruby or red fin. You know Rubriventralis under that name and someone else mentioned Rubeus being known under that name lol. Common names make compatibility recommendations tough because if the OP has Rubripinnis I would not recommend a Carpenter be added.
Would make it so much easier if the OP had a photo of the Wrasse in question, common names suck. “Latin” is so much better to use IMO.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled Cirrhilabrus Rubripinnis and the very first pic is what my ruby looks like
I would pass on getting a Carpenters then. Rubripinnis can be a jerk to other fairies and flashers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooo.... O well, i really wanted the carpenters but i rather not risk it
You didn’t hear this from me butt… If you play your cards right you can get it to work. If you want to know how then I can tell you what I did in my 4’ tank to get a gang that shouldn’t have ever worked out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back