Adding Fish and Corals

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting a 20g reef tank as soon as my cycle finishes. I am planning on the following stocking:

- 1 ocellaris clownfish
- 1 cardinalfish or royal gramma
- 1 small blenny or goby maybe paired with a shrimp
- 1 small wrasse if i can find one (pink-streaked or possum, or perhaps even a small fairy wrasse?)

My cuc will likely be stocked with some snails, hermits, a cleaner shrimp, and maybe a small brittle star.

I am looking to start the tank with easy soft corals since this is my first reef tank ever.

I am wondering when it would be appropriate to add my first fish or corals. I plan to start adding in cuc once diatoms show up. Are there any specific parameters outside of 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, PH of around 8, and nitrates under 20ppm? And which should I add first?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates you want to keep around 5 to 10. After cycle finishes add 1 fish. Wait a month and add another and so on. Start adding easy corals with adequate lighting around time of second fish.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome btw!

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with the clown, and then wait a couple of weeks to make sure it is thriving before adding some more fish. Would wait awhile for the corals. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. Patience will be a key to long term success.

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your hurry?

I don't put anything in my tank that hasn't been QT'd. Both fish (copper) and inverts (78 days, no meds).

Your starting a new tank, why not do it right from the start. It's way easier to prevent problems than fix them once they've taken hold of your tank.

Good luck!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your hurry?

I don't put anything in my tank that hasn't been QT'd. Both fish (copper) and inverts (78 days, no meds).

Your starting a new tank, why not do it right from the start. It's way easier to prevent problems than fix them once they've taken hold of your tank.

Good luck!
Not everyone thinks chemo is a good option without a cancer diagnosis first. ;-P

yababo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rush. The more I rushed to put anything in, the bigger the problem was further down the line. You may be able to get away of having a Clown at first and not keeping anything until it really matures would be the most ideal.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back