Adding Lights to Biocube 32

headlines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without switching to a full hood gut lighting system ( nano-box/steve's ) does anyone know of a good way or if it's even possible to supplement the in-hood Biocube 32 lighting this way ?

The lights are okay for what's in the tank now and they're doing well, but if I can easily add some sort of strip somewhere to have access to keeping more types of coral / make them look better / thrive even more so I'd like to.

Schwabie33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steves leds has a retrofit option I had thought about getting in the past, at the end I went with a kessil, then a ai prime

OP
OP
headlines

headlines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave in and got the Nano-Box.

I would've loved a kessil/prime but going topless would've gave my beloved Bengal a new swimming pool. :p

Schwabie33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always options, I had fish that liked to jump also, I did a thin price of acrylic and cut to the inner lip and that worked great

OP
OP
headlines

headlines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always options, I had fish that liked to jump also, I did a thin price of acrylic and cut to the inner lip and that worked great

I thought of that but I didn't want to risk it with her, she's small so I wasn't worried about her sitting on it, but she gets very determined and has proven herself smarter than me an embarrassing amount of times.

The stock hood is too heavy for her tiny frame to open, which is why I even have a Biocube vs another nano. :(

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave in and got the Nano-Box.

I would've loved a kessil/prime but going topless would've gave my beloved Bengal a new swimming pool. :p

How do you like them? Which model did you get? Standard, Plus, or Plus M? I was looking for my Biocube 29G. How loud is the fan?

NanoBox seems to have the easiest retrofit but I'm not sure if I want to sink up to $360 on my Biocube.

Thanks!

OP
OP
headlines

headlines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like them? Which model did you get? Standard, Plus, or Plus M? I was looking for my Biocube 29G. How loud is the fan?

NanoBox seems to have the easiest retrofit but I'm not sure if I want to sink up to $360 on my Biocube.

Thanks!

It'll be coming Thursday so I'll update you then! I just wanted to go for the quickest / cheapest route honestly as I just wanted better lights with more control, and after some research I'm not sure the led strips would have a good place to fit in the 32g safely. So I bought the Standard off the same site that carries the inTank media baskets.

I didn't really want to shell out the $300 myself, especially for a tank that was already $300 + all the other things I've added to it over time, but somehow the fish always seem to win over my wallet. :rolleyes: Biocubes definitely aren't as All in One as they seem to be.

I haven't had issues with the noise of my 32g like some people. I'm pretty pleased with it overall the lights just aren't as "pretty" as I know they could be and I'm sure you know that when you start investing in the nice bright corals you want them to stay that way + glow to their full potential.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought the Standard off the same site that carries the inTank media baskets.

Yeah, I saw inTank also had the retro kit available. I was wondering about the moonlights on the "Retro Plus M". I would like to have blue moonlights on at night. Was wondering if you could do this with the "Retro" or the "Retro Plus" versions.

I just have the 29G Biocube that has Compact Florescents and Blue LED's. The fans on the 29G are pretty loud so I was wondering how loud the single fan on the NanoBox was. I would really like to switch to the NanoBox Retro as I have had problems trying to find consistent sized replacement CF bulbs. The CF bulbs seem to range in length even though they are OEM replacements. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the retrofit and let us know how it turns out.

Ahogue21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy added a 12in fusion true lumen strip to his.....Unsure how it's controlled but looking into this as a cheaper alternative to add a bit of light for now

IMG_20170330_140410107_HDR.jpg

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy added a 12in fusion true lumen strip to his.....Unsure how it's controlled but looking into this as a cheaper alternative to add a bit of light for now

IMG_20170330_140410107_HDR.jpg
Looking at my 32 Biocube hood, that strip appears to be mounted over the feeding port? Not sure about that. Interested in adding some additional light to mine rather than replacing the existing LEDs. Do you know the source of this mod? I've attempted on several occasions to find it. Thanks.

bfpierce99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at my 32 Biocube hood, that strip appears to be mounted over the feeding port? Not sure about that. Interested in adding some additional light to mine rather than replacing the existing LEDs. Do you know the source of this mod? I've attempted on several occasions to find it. Thanks.
Did you ever find this mod? Looking for an easy way to add more lights to my 32 gal cube without removing stock lights.

ShaneWedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steves leds has a retrofit option I had thought about getting in the past, at the end I went with a kessil, then a ai prime
Did you go with the A160we blue tuna or the A360we blue tuna ? I"m thinking about taking the hood off mine after Christmas. Love the shimmer effect of these lights and also the different corals you can grow under them.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all, Shaggymv. I put 2, 14.5 blue LED strips (front and rear) under my hood. They install with suction cups. I put them on separate timers and they work great. Not only does the tank look better but the corals are doing better as well. Look for: MingDak, 14.5 blue LED strips. They cost $29.42 for the pair delivered by Amazon.

Back