Adding mated clowns to a tank...

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 75 gallon with 1 ocelaris clown which has hosted a small nem. Local reefer is trying to rehome a mated larger pair. Would this be a possible fit for my tank? The matted pair come from a tank were they hosted coral. I only have a blenny. 6 line banished to the sump for being a jerk.

Thanks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 75 gallon with 1 ocelaris clown which has hosted a small nem. Local reefer is trying to rehome a mated larger pair. Would this be a possible fit for my tank? The matted pair come from a tank were they hosted coral. I only have a blenny. 6 line banished to the sump for being a jerk.

Thanks

Although there is a chance of success, IMO the single ocellaris will be at risk. I would encourage you to consider an alternate plan. Good luck!

#clownfish

OP
OP
SwiftStorm

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Family loves the clown which defended his nem for weeks from the 6 line. Would my best route be adding a single smaller clown to the tank?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Family loves the clown which defended his nem for weeks from the 6 line. Would my best route be adding a single smaller clown to the tank?

If you want to stay with the current clownfish then adding a smaller ocellaris would be your best chance at success. Of course with clowns nothing is guaranteed. Additionally, if your friend is willing to ship (or can find a LFS to help ship) then they should be easily be able to find a good home for the mated pair and make some Christmas money along the way. Good luck!

OP
OP
SwiftStorm

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Added the pair of clowns and bad things started to happen. I tried to place new clowns and their hosting nem on the opposite side of the tank. Almost immediately the older clown came over (which she never did before) and started attacking the other female. I had to net my old clown and place her in the sump awaiting a new home.

Thanks everyone

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back