Adding removable door panels to a steel frame stand

boudster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm getting a new tank this weekend and this will be the first time I've had a metal stand. The stand is 72"x48"x42", and will look like this...***minus the triangle gussets***

It is going to be powder coated black, and I want to add removable door panels flush with the stand so that it looks like this:

I'm thinking magnetic, but I'm not very creative when it comes to DIY. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

Also, I'd like to add some shelving inside the stand to house power cords, etc... But if I build a wooden shelf box, how can I attach it to the steel frame? Can I drill into the steel without affecting the integrity of the stand?

Last edited:

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic with it attaching to the gussets, Velcro or 2 small counter sinked screws per panel placed in diagonal corners are all good options. :)

OP
OP
boudster

boudster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic with it attaching to the gussets, Velcro or 2 small counter sinked screws per panel placed in diagonal corners are all good options. :)
That was my original intent, but the company building the stand didn't end up adding the gussets, and I can't weld, thus my dilemna

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh ok, I misunderstood, sorry.
If you aren't comfortable welding then you can just epoxy on some gussets or just some little square or rectangular supports to attach the panels to, there are lots of options for epoxies and they will give an excellent bond so you wouldn't have to worry about it coming apart. You can also epoxy supports for shelving with no worries. Drilling a few holes shouldn't affect the strength of the stand btw.
hope this helps.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
boudster

boudster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh ok, I misunderstood, sorry.
If you aren't comfortable welding then you can just epoxy on some gussets or just some little square or rectangular supports to attach the panels to, there are lots of options for epoxies and they will give an excellent bond so you wouldn't have to worry about it coming apart. You can also epoxy supports for shelving with no worries. Drilling a few holes shouldn't affect the strength of the stand btw.
hope this helps.

That helps a lot! I didn't realize epoxy was an option for steel. Can you recommend a good type of epoxy?

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can just run a search for steel epoxy and a lot will turn up but JB weld has some great ones.
upload_2016-6-29_14-31-36.png

OP
OP
boudster

boudster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can just run a search for steel epoxy and a lot will turn up but JB weld has some great ones.
upload_2016-6-29_14-31-36.png
Thank you very much for the help. I think I'll use that to attach gussets (the stand builder wanted an extra $900 to add gussets!!)

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those epoxies would not be the best method for your application. the gussets would come off easily. I would find someone else to add the guessets, have them welded the same distance back as the thickness of your wood panels. this way it will be flush with the metal frame.

Then use a forstner drill bit and drill holes in the wood panels, use 5 min epoxy and glue in some neodymium magnets. make sure the polarity is correct before gluing. you'll want large n52 rated magnets.

The magnets will attach to the guessets. you would need to figure out a way to remove the panels, as they will be flush with the metal frame.

OP
OP
boudster

boudster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those epoxies would not be the best method for your application. the gussets would come off easily. I would find someone else to add the guessets, have them welded the same distance back as the thickness of your wood panels. this way it will be flush with the metal frame.

Then use a forstner drill bit and drill holes in the wood panels, use 5 min epoxy and glue in some neodymium magnets. make sure the polarity is correct before gluing. you'll want large n52 rated magnets.

The magnets will attach to the guessets. you would need to figure out a way to remove the panels, as they will be flush with the metal frame.
Hmmm... Conflicting opinions in an R2R thread... Imagine that. [emoji23]

I have no knowledge as to the strength of steel epoxy. So do you think the magnetic force when removing the door panels over and over would eventually break the epoxy's bond?

Btw...i do plan on adding handles to the panels so I can pull them off. I know those are strong magnets

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the help. I think I'll use that to attach gussets (the stand builder wanted an extra $900 to add gussets!!)

there is also an epoxy called PC11 which will work for your application, very strong stuff here.

While I do agree that having it welded will be the best option, these epoxies or the PC11 will work for his application and will give years of service without coming apart or breaking once applied properly. Having used them myself for many projects and bigger applications I can confidently say these will work. :)

OP
OP
boudster

boudster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to Home Depot get self tapping screws and some heavy magnetic hinges and drill them right into the steel and the other piece on the door panel. Something like this obviously they come in different colours http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-...inet-Catch-BB8174-DBL-MAG-CATCH-PLA/203834522
That would be an ideal solution... If those magnets are strong enough to keep the door panel in place. I suppose it depends on how thick the door panels will be. I imagine I would need several per panel

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to Home Depot get self tapping screws and some heavy magnetic hinges and drill them right into the steel and the other piece on the door panel. Something like this obviously they come in different colours http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-...inet-Catch-BB8174-DBL-MAG-CATCH-PLA/203834522

I would just do 4 cabinet magnets http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-White-Heavy-Duty-Magnetic-Door-Catch-C080X0C-W-P/100149442

One per corner of each door. Drill and screw the magnet part into the steel stand and the plain metal into the wood that makes up your door.

I completely forgot about those... lol. :oops: these are ideal and easily replaceable if needed.

OP
OP
boudster

boudster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some regular clear silicone and silicone the holes so the salt creep doesn't get in to the holes and start eating away the steel.
Good idea since the powder coat protection goes away when I drill holes. Thanks!

OP
OP
boudster

boudster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone!. Now that I know how to attach the panels... Any suggestions on what to use for the panels? The lighter the better... But I'm willing to deal with some weight if it drowns out more noise.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not enough surface area on the gussets for the epoxy to adhere to. they would eventually break due to the strength of the magnets.

Those small cabinet style catches at the big box store would not hold the panels in place securely. you'll want to use 3/4" wood which is heavy.

I build a lot of stands/canopies and have done exactly what you're wanting to do.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back