Adding water meter to mixing station

wfournier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone has added a water meter to their mixing station? I'm looking for a way to track how much water is being moved from the RO tank into the salt mix tank so I know how much salt to add. I'm planing to use brute can so they will be opaque without graduation marks. I have seen some inexpensive hose end meters that seem like they could work however I have some concerns if there is a risk of contamination (I don't believe these are intended for "potable" water) and the more expensive models tend to have bronze bodies and I'm not sure if that presents risks as well.

The sight glass option mentioned in another thread could be another solution as well.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled a hole in the side of my brute and installed a float switch. Whenever I make a batch I cleanout the brute, fill with RO until it shuts off, and then add my pre measured salt.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw someone who plumbed a clear PVC pipe running parallel to their brute container through a bulk head that inserted near the bottom of the brute. Water flows into the clear PVC pipe to the height of the water in the bucket. He then added his own graduation marks to the clear PVC (presumably by dumping in a gallon at a time or 5 gallons at time (depending on your desired measuring interval).

Seems like a nice easy hack to measure water dispensed.

Hopefully that makes sense.

2FFF0DC2-F4FF-4E26-B05D-523FE8076674.jpeg

Edit: completely missed your comment about the sight glass, but since I took the time to draw that beautiful image, I'm leaving this

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back