Adding wrasse to tank with established wrasse

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How would I go about adding a mccosker flasher wrasse to a tank that has a pretty decent sized melanarus wrasse that’s been in the tank for 4-5 months.
will it be okay to just straight up add to the tank since they different families or will they instantly fight?

Tank size is 80G display with 20G sump

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I go about adding a mccosker flasher wrasse to a tank that has a pretty decent sized melanarus wrasse that’s been in the tank for 4-5 months.
will it be okay to just straight up add to the tank since they different families or will they instantly fight?
Probably not but it is always best to add wrasse in an acclimation box.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably not but it is always best to add wrasse in an acclimation box.
Ty for this thread so I should purchase some type of acclimation box before adding and keeping the wrasse in there a couple days before fully adding to the tank? Any recommendations on boxes?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger box the better. Honestly you shouldn’t have to worry. They live in very different areas of the tank and are both generally peaceful. If you see no aggression within a couple hours you should be fine.

Assuming the tanks big enough the only wrasse I wouldn’t add are similar shaped halichoeres, pseudocheilinus (lined wrasse like the sixline), and any wrasse considered not reef safe like a Thalassoma. All others should work if you use a box.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank size is 80G display with 20G sump
First off, in answer to your question;
It’s unlikely these two will fight as they’re from two different genera (Paracheilinus and Halichoeres).
Second, I just wanted to correct you with families against genera :)
These two are from the same family of Labriidae however they’re from two different genera under that family.
It’s more confusing when you’re going into the Hogfish and Parrotfish subfamilies as they’re still Labrids but there’s a 3rd classification thrown in the mix separating them from the ‘true’ Wrasses.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back