Adjustment and delay

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced a delay from the time when you manually dose/making adjustments to parameters to when they actually register on a water test? I'm talking specially to Mg at the moment. For example, I use the calculators and determine that I need to add X amount of dry mag to make an adjustment solution.

If I test hours afterwards, the values will not budge. 24 hrs later.. So not budge. However it starts registering the increase closer to 48 hrs after dosing. No other changes in terms of auto-doser schedules. Just bulk adjustment where I was at 1350 and wanted to set a new target at 1440.

I've experienced this a couple time and can't figure it out. I mean hours should be enough for the solution to "mix" with the rest of the tank water.

Anyone else experience this or have a similar experience? Adjusting Alk is however almost immediate which is why this is interesting.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experienced the same effect. I now wait 2-3 days before I test the impact of my addition.

I use the Salifert Mg test kit.

I don’t know what is going on. There must be some sort of thermodynamic reaction taking place and it needs time to come to equilibrium. But, I have not idea what that mechanism would be.

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here... Salifert Mg.

Mag wasn't one of the parameters that I tested often previously. For years it didn't seem to change much and I was able to maintain with just WC and thus I just stopped testing. Wasn't until I noticed coralline die-off that I realized something was off and thus started testing and discovered the huge drop. Not sure what caused it to start dropping, but now starting to dose it as part of balling. The recent testing cycles made me notice the delay.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back