Adventures in Starfishing...

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've decided to add a starfish to the aquarium. After researching things, I know it's going to be a challenge, but I'll give it my best shot. I've ordered a Fromia Monilis (Tile Sea Star) from LiveAquaria. I've been on the "waiting list" for this star to be in stock for over a month. I would have liked to purchased one locally, but none of the LFS near me carry stars, let alone this one. Based on what I've researched and the tricky acclimation issues, I can understand why. He (she? it?) will arrive later today via UPS.

My DT tank is in the process of going fallow from a Brooks outbreak. The surviving fish are in the Hospital Tank. The 76 day fallow period ends July 7. So when the star arrives, I am going to acclimate directly into the DT. To stress it by going into a QT tank that has no liverock and adequate algae supply is asking for trouble, I think. There are some risks - but after input from Humblefish and other fellow Reef2Reefers, the risks are minimal. Ich toments don't encyst to starfish - but might be in the water and be transferred that way. However, since there are no fish in the tank for several more weeks, any toments that did make it in would die in 48 hours without a fish host. So this is actually probably the best time to add a starfish.

So wish me luck and I'll share what I learn and experience as I go along. And please feel free to share any insights you might have as well.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck @Steve Jones. It sounds like you have a good plan for introduction of the new guy into the tank. My only comment is diet. Most star fish die from starvation.....and most star fish are not just algae eaters...they are omnivores....and therefore like a good meaty meal mixed with that salad in your tank. So feed shrimp or clams or some other meaty food...even flake would work....mix it up.

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck @Steve Jones. It sounds like you have a good plan for introduction of the new guy into the tank. My only comment is diet. Most star fish die from starvation.....and most star fish are not just algae eaters...they are omnivores....and therefore like a good meaty meal mixed with that salad in your tank. So feed shrimp or clams or some other meaty food...even flake would work....mix it up.

Yes - agree 100%. Thanks!

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Home with the box. Letting it set for 15 minutes in the dark with the heat packs taken out and in the dim light with top partially off preparing to float in the tank next. I've increased the brightness of this photo for visibility. It's actually much dimmer at the table.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1467147083.094113.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link for that drip acclimator?

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Drip acclimation has begun. You fill the top reservoir with your tank water. The bag hangs over the bag support with the opening directly under the drip spout. You rotate the spout to control the drip speed. I have it set for about one drip every two seconds. I figure at least a 4 hour acclimation. The bag will be emptied by half each time the water volume doubles. The advantage of this rig is that for a long acclimation like a starfish needs the bag stays in the water at the same temperature as the drip. A four hour drip into a bucket beside the tank would get cold.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1467149990.808138.jpg

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used a penlight so I could illuminate just the nozzle area and take a short vid so you can see how slow the drip is. (Sorry about the cartoon noises in the background. 12 year old has Cartoon Network on. LOL)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave areas of the glass and back of the tank free to grow bio-film and algae for my Formica to eat, this has worked out well for me. Established rock is also beneficial. These starfish curse along at a pretty good pace.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick dumb question- in the past when I've acclimated starfish, I've tried to keep them from reaching their arms too much out of the water for fear of trapping air. Is this a real concern or if they're the ones moving their limbs above the surface of the water, air won't become trapped?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick dumb question- in the past when I've acclimated starfish, I've tried to keep them from reaching their arms too much out of the water for fear of trapping air. Is this a real concern or if they're the ones moving their limbs above the surface of the water, air won't become trapped?

I have had numerous starfish that hang their arms out of the water and it has never been an issue, so I tend to believe that the air exposure is a myth. Witnessed all types of starfish including Linkia exposed to air at low tide. I would not purposely expose the starfish to air, but I do not become concerned if there is limited exposure. JM2C

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree that it's more myth than fact. That said, I'm going to keep him submerged as much as possible. If he wants to stick out a leg - go for it. But when the drip is finally done I plan on lifting him out of the bag and into tank rather than dumping all that LiveAquaria water into my tank. So he'll be exposed to the air for a second or two.

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Acclimation finished and he's moved to tank. A nice slow 5 hour drip process. He's kind of hard to see since the blue LEDs are on so can't see how red/orange he is. But he is moving. Attached is a video. If you look close, he is moving to the right. I will take a better pic / vid in the AM before work. Or after work if he's hiding in the morning.

Keep your fingers crossed he thrives.

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures from this AM before leaving for work. Tank lighting is still in "sunrise" mode so still pretty blue. He's on the front glass of the tank so I had to try and get a shot from the side glass to see his more decorative side.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1467199962.176558.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1467199983.902386.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back