Advice for Zoa Garden

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks for reading the thread. Im currently starting a new tank with the Waterbox 20g Cube. I wanted to start a Zoa Garden the correct way and wanted to know any advice from fellow reefers who have a Zoa Garden. The best way to create one, maintaining the garden, which rocks, or even the pros and cons of having a garden.Thanks for any input.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difficult part is controlling certain zoas that are going to spread a lot faster than others. If you really want s good mixed look I would try to plan it out by first putting in the slow growers. Leave spacing between and once those start to dread fill in the other areas with the faster growing kinds.

I actually regret ever putting zoas on my rock work. You live and you learn.

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the best rocks is anything that that is smooth. Bumpy rocks make it grow a little slower because the coral has to build up in order to grow over the ridge/bump. If you want it to be covered quickly, look for zoas like eagle eye and dragon eye type zoas. And try to keep them isolated to rocks in the sandbed. Sometimes they still let go and float around the tank and reattach elsewhere so keep that in mind

OP
OP
Miguel Negron

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difficult part is controlling certain zoas that are going to spread a lot faster than others. If you really want s good mixed look I would try to plan it out by first putting in the slow growers. Leave spacing between and once those start to dread fill in the other areas with the faster growing kinds.

I actually regret ever putting zoas on my rock work. You live and you learn.
Good point! I would hate to have a cheaper zoa over grow a more expensive one.

OP
OP
Miguel Negron

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the best rocks is anything that that is smooth. Bumpy rocks make it grow a little slower because the coral has to build up in order to grow over the ridge/bump. If you want it to be covered quickly, look for zoas like eagle eye and dragon eye type zoas. And try to keep them isolated to rocks in the sandbed. Sometimes they still let go and float around the tank and reattach elsewhere so keep that in mind
Eagles looks very nice but that’s is true about growing fast. That is a good point about isolating them because I would hate them to over grow a colorful expensive zoa

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I obtained one of these rocks below and planted differents zoas in holes. Gets no easier

1578242336700.png
zoa garden.jpg

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is all those zoa garden guys , its more a collection of frags , like the florist. They grow them out separate on tiles usually, then assemble them for the pic. Then put them back away , the few mounted zoa gardens last around 1 - 2 years until it gets way outa control and the fast ones win out as mentioned and your at its mercy cause its mounted.Good luck !!!

OP
OP
Miguel Negron

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is all those zoa garden guys , its more a collection of frags , like the florist. They grow them out separate on tiles usually, then assemble them for the pic. Then put them back away , the few mounted zoa gardens last around 1 - 2 years until it gets way outa control and the fast ones win out as mentioned and your at its mercy cause its mounted.Good luck !!!
Lol that’s funny and thank you!

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with @eric.battani . Relatively smooth rocks are best. Another thing to consider that I need to make changes to my garden is place meant of each zoa. Some zoas,pretty sure the giga variant are larger polyps, and will grow over the smaller ones. For me. It’s my Sunny Ds. You can see they are growing over my Blue Tubbs, BEBBs, RadioactiveGreen, and Granny Smiths. I would recommend putting these larger polyp zoas commonly called palys towards the bottom of your garden.
06CF7D8A-7FE6-4B43-ABA7-C3C230B86689.jpeg

OP
OP
Miguel Negron

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with @eric.battani . Relatively smooth rocks are best. Another thing to consider that I need to make changes to my garden is place meant of each zoa. Some zoas,pretty sure the giga variant are larger polyps, and will grow over the smaller ones. For me. It’s my Sunny Ds. You can see they are growing over my Blue Tubbs, BEBBs, RadioactiveGreen, and Granny Smiths. I would recommend putting these larger polyp zoas commonly called palys towards the bottom of your garden.
06CF7D8A-7FE6-4B43-ABA7-C3C230B86689.jpeg
Thanks for providing a photo and for your advice. It’s good to hear other people’s experiences so I don’t run into the same issues

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to do the same thing to a 10g with nothing but Tonga branch. I’m going to let them flourish all over the tank. The is some well needed advice
31786E59-6F74-4C56-AA16-64C282289989.jpeg
7C36927F-D5FC-47B7-8233-37A26E7F4422.jpeg
E94DF276-9625-4EB0-A6D9-F31D145A193F.jpeg

Ps I have more eight more zoa frags coming on Tuesday from aquasd

OP
OP
Miguel Negron

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to do the same thing to a 10g with nothing but Tonga branch. I’m going to let them flourish all over the tank. The is some well needed advice
31786E59-6F74-4C56-AA16-64C282289989.jpeg
7C36927F-D5FC-47B7-8233-37A26E7F4422.jpeg
E94DF276-9625-4EB0-A6D9-F31D145A193F.jpeg

Ps I have more eight more zoa frags coming on Tuesday from aquasd
When they grow in there going to look amazing. You should document your tanks journey! Good luck

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those are beautiful colonies. What do you do for that type of growth?
I don’t do anything I let them do it I just feed the fish an turn the light on an off they do the rest. It was only 3 polyps of each one also have some on a Tonga rock on the other side See it on the left

122DB83A-C6BF-490E-8CC3-20F146F545E7.jpeg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a couple of gardens I previous tanks, its key to take ur time choosing which zoas to add. Chose some nice contrasting colors and position the colors with most contrast next to each other. Give them space to grow and fill up. On my last island I remember going g with the followings, Sunny Ds, utter chaos , La lakes, eagle eyes, safe crackers, jokers.... I'll try to find pics and post.
I'll be making couple new islands in few weeks will try to document them and their growth as well.

OP
OP
Miguel Negron

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t do anything I let them do it I just feed the fish an turn the light on an off they do the rest. It was only 3 polyps of each one also have some on a Tonga rock on the other side See it on the left

122DB83A-C6BF-490E-8CC3-20F146F545E7.jpeg
Great advice. I will definitely try this!

OP
OP
Miguel Negron

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a couple of gardens I previous tanks, its key to take ur time choosing which zoas to add. Chose some nice contrasting colors and position the colors with most contrast next to each other. Give them space to grow and fill up. On my last island I remember going g with the followings, Sunny Ds, utter chaos , La lakes, eagle eyes, safe crackers, jokers.... I'll try to find pics and post.
I'll be making couple new islands in few weeks will try to document them and their growth as well.
Yeah any pictures whenever you can will be great! Did you have trouble with eagles eyes constantly over growing other zoas?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back