OP
OP
H

Hodsonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Day 12 of copper power, everyone is doing great except for a white tuft kinda looking thing which hasn't been getting better on my Achilles. I'm thinking maybe HITH or maybe lympho, it does look a bit like cauliflower but it also kinda looks like there is a pinkinsh spot in the center of it but impossible to tell for sure. These are the best pics I could get. I've also observed him scratching as well.
@Jay Hemdal ?

Attachments

• 20210326_095340.jpg
    20210326_095340.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210326_090918.jpg
    20210326_090918.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
H

Hodsonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a slightly better picture

Attachments

• 20210326_114811.jpg
    20210326_114811.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 28

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm coming into this late, but scanned the whole thread. Sounds like you have a good process in place. Visually identifying fish disease issues is tricky, doing so from photos is even more so, and then, when fish don't cooperate and the photos are blurry, it is really tough (grin). That lesion on the Achilles isn't flukes or other external parasites. It really isn't in a common location for Lymphocystis. It does not look like HLLE, and that would almost always have a mirrored lesion on the other side of the fish. That leaves bacterial (or rarely, fungal) issues. So what to do? Medicated food isn't advised as this is an external lesion. Topical treatments rarely work, and the extra handling causes issues with Achilles. Dosing the whole tank with antibiotics is one option, but I hate doing that while running other medications, always the possibility of reactions, or increased overall stress.

How long has the fish had this lesion? Any chance it began as an injury? Is it growing in size? Any other symptoms?

Jay

OP
OP
H

Hodsonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm coming into this late, but scanned the whole thread. Sounds like you have a good process in place. Visually identifying fish disease issues is tricky, doing so from photos is even more so, and then, when fish don't cooperate and the photos are blurry, it is really tough (grin). That lesion on the Achilles isn't flukes or other external parasites. It really isn't in a common location for Lymphocystis. It does not look like HLLE, and that would almost always have a mirrored lesion on the other side of the fish. That leaves bacterial (or rarely, fungal) issues. So what to do? Medicated food isn't advised as this is an external lesion. Topical treatments rarely work, and the extra handling causes issues with Achilles. Dosing the whole tank with antibiotics is one option, but I hate doing that while running other medications, always the possibility of reactions, or increased overall stress.

How long has the fish had this lesion? Any chance it began as an injury? Is it growing in size? Any other symptoms?

Jay
Thanks Jay! It began as a white patch or scuff. I first noticed before I started QT about 14 days ago. I thought it was actually his eye at first since it was so close. I was thinking flukes at the time. It didn't look like more than just a patch of discoloration until about 5 or 6 days ago. He is eating like a champ only other symptom is scratching. It does not appear to be growing at all. Definitely a pink spot in the center. I have Furan 2 on hand if that would be helpful. EDIT: Also see other fish scratching quite a bit. Copper power has been between 2.06 and 2.47 the entire 12 days.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have been clearer- the patch isn’t a symptom of flukes, but the fish could still have them, and the scratching could be a symptom of that.
It wasn’t clear to me, how many doses of GC did you run, and over what time frame? Did you ever run prazipro?
Jay

OP
OP
H

Hodsonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have been clearer- the patch isn’t a symptom of flukes, but the fish could still have them, and the scratching could be a symptom of that.
It wasn’t clear to me, how many doses of GC did you run, and over what time frame? Did you ever run prazipro?
Jay
I have given GC orally 2x daily for 12 days now, going to stop at 14 days. I didn't get your advice until day 7 of GC and so decided to follow course since I had already started. I have not started Prazi pro yet but plan to after GC soaked food is over (2 days).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oral dosing of GC has a huge issue - you don't really know how much medication the fish is getting - there is a sticky at the top of this section that describes my method for medicated feeds, as well as a calculator that another member has developed - it is all pretty complicated, but really, the adding GC to some Focus and mixing it into some food and feeding some amount of that to the fish is like if your doctor handed you some pills and said, here take some (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
H

Hodsonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oral dosing of GC has a huge issue - you don't really know how much medication the fish is getting - there is a sticky at the top of this section that describes my method for medicated feeds, as well as a calculator that another member has developed - it is all pretty complicated, but really, the adding GC to some Focus and mixing it into some food and feeding some amount of that to the fish is like if your doctor handed you some pills and said, here take some (grin).

Jay
Thanks Jay,
Any other thoughts on what this might be? Getting a good pic has been tough but I found a thread with a fish that has an almost identical condition.

Unfortunately the thread dead ends but the photos are much better than mine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, clearer photos would help. The blue tang seemed to have a tumor or a viral lesion. From your photos, I thought your fish had a rougher lesion, and not protruding as much.
Jay

OP
OP
H

Hodsonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE 4/27/21:

I started a course of antibiotics (Furan2 & Neoplex) to try'n clear up the issue with the Achilles...It worked! Within about 4 days it was 90% cleared up. I continued the antibiotics for a full 10 days to make sure I got it. Then 2 weeks of observation and all the fish pulled through and are looking, eating & acting great! Thank you to everyone who contributed

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back