Advice needed please .

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish
Hi all. I'm currently in the process of converting.my tank. It is 60"L. 18"W 24"H. I want it bottom drilled. But I don't no on what size bulkheads to use or on haw many. I want to put this in the center. And I don't no if the bottom is tempured . Can anyone advise me on haw to go about all this please. Total noob.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish
First question back to you, why drill bottom and not back?

If structure of glass unknown, front, back and sides tend to be safe to drill. Bottom is 50/50 could be tempered.

As far as size bulkheads, check BRS, they have some good info.

052F6BDB-E069-464D-8479-F5E3BFB8AE35.png

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a bulkhead for each pipe that passes through the bottom of the tank. The tank dimensions you describe indicates it is a big tank, so I would go with larger diameter pipes. Drain pipes could be 1.5-1.75 inch PVC with returns at 1 inch.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question back to you, why drill bottom and not back?

If structure of glass unknown, front, back and sides tend to be safe to drill. Bottom is 50/50 could be tempered.

As far as size bulkheads, check BRS, they have some good info.

052F6BDB-E069-464D-8479-F5E3BFB8AE35.png

Personally, I have always drilled through the bottom as I like to keep all plumbing within the footprint of the tank and stand.

But yes, be careful! If you look at my build thread, I shattered a tank bottom that was tempered, but no indication on the tank that it was.

OP
OP
P

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK brilliant. I thourt I would post on hear. as was getting no responses on ultimate reef. So 3 holes. 2.. 1/5" And 1"return. Would that be OK to have it in the bottom center but at the back. And haw far away from the back glass would i drill the holes...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK brilliant. I thourt I would post on hear. as was getting no responses on ultimate reef. So 3 holes. 2.. 1/5" And 1"return. Would that be OK to have it in the bottom center but at the back. And haw far away from the back glass would i drill the holes...

Look at my build thread. I did the same thing with a 33long. It sounds like you want to do the same thing.

OP
OP
P

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at my build thread. I did the same thing with a 33long. It sounds like you want to do the same thing.
I want to have my 2 drains and return. All in the same place right wear your return is. In the center. All behind a box. Also in the UK so think size is different.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to have my 2 drains and return. All in the same place right wear your return is. In the center. All behind a box. Also in the UK so think size is different.

Ok... so you want your return and drain lines to go through the bottom of the tank and you want them all to be around the center at the back of the tank. Correct?

OP
OP
P

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so you want your return and drain lines to go through the bottom of the tank and you want them all to be around the center at the back of the tank. Correct?
Yes that would be correct Dom iv added 2 screen shots. If thay help

Screenshot_20200513-101642.png

OP
OP
P

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking useing 2x32mm drains and 1 25mm return with t section at the top to split the return to 2 outputs. Problem is as I have no clue when it comes to bulkheads. What size would I need and what size diamond tip hole cutter... I will add a eBay link on bulkheads will theys be on. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333407670981

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking useing 2x32mm drains and 1 25mm return with t section at the top to split the return to 2 outputs. Problem is as I have no clue when it comes to bulkheads. What size would I need and what size diamond tip hole cutter... I will add a eBay link on bulkheads will theys be on. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333407670981

Here in the US, we have a company named Bulk Reef Supply that I use...

I suggest that you visit their site, even if only to give yourself an idea of the parts you need. Then you can purchase what you need from wherever you are comfortable.

I also suggest visiting their site as they have a great many videos for entry level reef keepers.

In my opinion, your plan is correct. You do want two drain lines, one to serve as your primary drain and your second to serve as an emergency drain if your primary should get blocked.

Additionally, you can split the return as you mentioned, but your tank will definitely need additional power heads within the tank to give you adequate flow. You won't be able to rely on one return for all flow.

Have you ever drilled glass before?

OP
OP
P

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou bud I will go check that. Out c what I need. And no have never drilled a tank before. So all new to me. So any advice pointers are welcome. And yes will. Be adding extra powerheads

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polarized glasses and a cell phone are your friend. Determine tempered or not. Then drill way using BRS posted sizing for bulkhead as posted. I just got done using their chart for my return pump drilling and it worked perfectly. I'd be nervous about the bottom being tempered.

OP
OP
P

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polarized glasses and a cell phone are your friend. Determine tempered or not. Then drill way using BRS posted sizing for bulkhead as posted. I just got done using their chart for my return pump drilling and it worked perfectly. I'd be nervous about the bottom being tempered.
Yes I am verry nervous. Iv just brought some polorised 3d glasses to check the bottom. Before I drill it.

OP
OP
P

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tested the tank today the tank bottom is not tempered. Yeyyyyy lol. But I will be drilling 3 holes for 3 bulkheads. 2 x 32mm pipe and 1 x 25mm return..... Question is hat far away from the edge do I drill the whole. I'm a toatal noob.

OP
OP
P

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled the tank. Got it all plumed in. Just finished the sump. Sorry been busy lol

IMG_20201013_151230.jpg IMG_20201013_151231.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back