ADVICE NEEDED: What do do with this space in sump?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had a refugium. Love the big balls of cheato! But now with this small Cade 600 I don't have the room, at least for what I've normally done.
This circled area in my sump is meant for filtration media like siporax, bio-spheres, etc.
The dims of this area is about 4" x 14" and water level is 9".
What can I do here for algae control?
Some kind of long skinny refugium light?
Turf scrubber?
I'm afraid of not having control over light spill and growing algae in other parts of the sump.
Appreciate any thoughts here, as well as links to any specific items you might suggest, and then I can make a decision on what to do.

TIA!

IMG_3110.jpg

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into:
A) An algae scrubber
B) UV sterilizer Maybe something like this
C) Skinny Fuge light I'm looking at this one for my build

Not familiar with your setup, but
The UV could help with algae control under the right flow rate may need a smaller pump as well unsure though.
I have never used a scrubber but could be useful in your situation they have light blockers.
You could angle the Refugium light toward the wall instead of toward the skimmer. The one I linked is magnetic so it wont force a certain angle and is streamlined.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into:
A) An algae scrubber
B) UV sterilizer Maybe something like this
C) Skinny Fuge light I'm looking at this one for my build

Not familiar with your setup, but
The UV could help with algae control under the right flow rate may need a smaller pump as well unsure though.
I have never used a scrubber but could be useful in your situation they have light blockers.
You could angle the Refugium light toward the wall instead of toward the skimmer. The one I linked is magnetic so it wont force a certain angle and is streamlined.
THanks!
I actually have that Tunze light in my cart and probably going with that.
Scrubber would probably get the job done but in a more utilitarian way. I would enjoy the fuge more. :)

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Projects with Sam makes this scrubber that may fit.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a Pax Bellum? Have consistently heard good things about them, and would be super tidy solution. Can plumb it right into your manifold, no light spill, messy chaeto sloshing around, etc.

25% off on BRS: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a-r-i-d-n18-macroalgae-reactor-pax-bellum.html
Yeah, those look cool!!!
More than I wanted to spend though, and honestly probably overkill for what I need for this tank.

@Projects with Sam makes this scrubber that may fit.
Cool option, I was not familiar with those.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're open to an ATS I'm pretty impressed with WSR found on eBay

Can see my experience with it in my tank thread link. And of course I'm always going to be a huge fan of the Turbo's Aquatics but will be a bit before those are fully ready to go again.

You can mount over that area and still have a fuge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, all!

I ended up ordering the Tunze light for $77 shipped with the BF sales going on.
It's the perfect size for the space I have so we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, it's not a big investment and then I'll probably try out one of the scrubbers.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like that skimmer?
I've had it just several weeks and I freakin love it.
Skims way better than the Bubble Magus Curve 7 I had in there before. The adjustment knob is crazy fine. And the cup is so easy to remove/replace. Also cool that the neck inside the cup pops out for extra cleaning. Oh and it's got an amazing build, all milled pvc. Top notch.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running it for 3 weeks now as well. Same experience. My tank is fairly new though so not too much to skim, plus I’m running a roller mat. Was curious what others thought.

Thanks,

Adam

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Denitrification chamber with Brightwell Blocks? Once it gets going just be careful your nitrates don't bottom out
Yeah, i had Marine Pure spheres in there from the start and had rising aluminum levels on my ICP tests. Removed them and levels came down.

I've had No3 and P04 super high on this tank and I've had them super low/non-existent. Still trying to balance it out. but typically if I don't dose, they bottom out.
I'm hoping that having some macros in there will help smooth things out a bit if levels start to get too high.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i had Marine Pure spheres in there from the start and had rising aluminum levels on my ICP tests. Removed them and levels came down.

I've had No3 and P04 super high on this tank and I've had them super low/non-existent. Still trying to balance it out. but typically if I don't dose, they bottom out.
I'm hoping that having some macros in there will help smooth things out a bit if levels start to get too high.
Maybe some black acrylic to block the light from spilling out of that area. I'm with you on the problem of the whole entire sump area starting to grow algae.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some black acrylic to block the light from spilling out of that area. I'm with you on the problem of the whole entire sump area starting to grow algae.
Yep, exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back