Advice on Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer build

Aleph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I have very high nitrates in my tank (>100 ppm) and I tried everything to lower them with no success. I stumbled upon Donovan's thread and I've been struck by the simple yet incredibly brilliant idea behind the Nitrate Destroyer, it was so sad to read he's no longer with us, he seemed a very nice and brilliant person!

So, I'm thinking about building a scaled down version of the DND on my 20g tank, I wanted to ask you some feedback about the build, specifically I have two doubts:

Since I have a small sump I wanted to use smaller tubes to reduce the total footprint. I read that the actual diameter of the tubes is less relevant than the height, would it be fine to use a smaller tube, like a 2 inch one?

Could you point out a good media combination to put in the DND with the correct order? I have Pond Matrix and Siporax in the sump so I could put them in if they are suitable, what else? I've seen many possible solution, I wouldn't want to mess up the whole thing with the wrong media!

Thank you so much for you help!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys I have very high nitrates in my tank (>100 ppm) and I tried everything to lower them with no success. I stumbled upon Donovan's thread and I've been struck by the simple yet incredibly brilliant idea behind the Nitrate Destroyer, it was so sad to read he's no longer with us, he seemed a very nice and brilliant person!

So, I'm thinking about building a scaled down version of the DND on my 20g tank, I wanted to ask you some feedback about the build, specifically I have two doubts:

Since I have a small sump I wanted to use smaller tubes to reduce the total footprint. I read that the actual diameter of the tubes is less relevant than the height, would it be fine to use a smaller tube, like a 2 inch one?

Could you point out a good media combination to put in the DND with the correct order? I have Pond Matrix and Siporax in the sump so I could put them in if they are suitable, what else? I've seen many possible solution, I wouldn't want to mess up the whole thing with the wrong media!

Thank you so much for you help!
He is a member here - I might send him a PM. Probably not that many people have an answer to that specific question.

Donovan Joannes

OP
OP
A

Aleph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 sorry my statement was misunderstandable, unfortunately Donovan has passed away a few years ago.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 sorry my statement was misunderstandable, unfortunately Donovan has passed away a few years ago.
For simplicity you could try an anoxic filter

I suggest any high CEC substrate though it isn't a necessity apparently.
Saf-t-sorb, Turface, or certain non - crumbling when wet cat litter
If you look at the original design that and Fe injection is all that is needed.

Just a thought

Modest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just one media in there: Maxspect bio spheres. My nitrate stays at 3 ppm without adding carbon or extra bacs.

OP
OP
A

Aleph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oreo5457 thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that!

@Modest thanks for the info, I will probably go with a pond matrix/siporax/1 inch bio balls combo

Modest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your project. It’s a fantastic tool.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For simplicity you could try an anoxic filter

I suggest any high CEC substrate though it isn't a necessity apparently.
Saf-t-sorb, Turface, or certain non - crumbling when wet cat litter
If you look at the original design that and Fe injection is all that is needed.

Just a thought
I second the anoxic filter or bcb basket. I’m playing with them now and so far it’s impressive.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back