Advice on filtration and trying to advance a reef.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon aquarium, with a
SKIMZ KONE SK201 INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER, DIY Algae turf scrubber. I currently have moved all fish to a 55 gallon to properly quarantine after an ick breakout. I was battling with hair algae with Nitrates-8, phosphates-.08. I plan to only add 8 total fish back, yellow tang, hippo tang, chocolate tang, 3 chromis,1 Picasso Clown, 1 cardinal. I have now started mainly feeding frozen foods and noti and got away from flakes. Purchased a spectrapure max cap rodi, was using an eBay unit. I have a doser pump and brs gfo reactor but not currently using either. I perform weekly 16 gallon water exchanges with IO salt. What recommendations would everyone have for me going forward to keep algae limited with my goal of having a reef. Other equipment 3 wav pumps from apex, 2 radion gen 3 pro. I have about 150 lbs live rock. I have a few zoas, mushroom and gsp.

20170316_175747.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing just fine it seems. The parameters are pretty good. Scrub your algae or grab some clean up crew.

The key to winning with algae is to not get it in your tank. Coral qt and using a dip that also kills it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back